Rs.1,813 in Rajendra Prasad’s bank account (Lead)July 4th, 2012 - 5:43 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 4 (IANS) A total of Rs.1,813 is lying unclaimed in a bank account that India’s first president, Rajendra Prasad, opened a few months before he died.
For 50 long years, the Punjab National Bank’s Exhibition Road branch has kept the account alive, a bank officials said.
“The bank has given Rajendra Prasad’s savings account prime customer status. It is a matter of pride for us,” chief manager S.L. Gupta told IANS.
The balance in the account, which includes interest, is Rs.1,813, Gupta said. He said no one had claimed the money.
The branch has also made public Rajendra Prasad’s account number — 0380000100030687 — with his photograph.
Normally, when a bank account holder dies, the money in there is passed on to the legal heirs on completion of certain formalities.
Rajendra Prasad was born Dec 3, 1884 in Zeradei in Bihar’s Siwan district and died Feb 28, 1963 in Patna. He was India’s first president — from 1952 to 1962 (two terms).
- Bank account of India's first president still active - Jul 04, 2012
- Rajendra Prasad's memorial to be a tourist spot - Dec 05, 2010
- Coins in memory of Rajendra Prasad released - Feb 28, 2010
- Bihar begins move to renovate Rajendra Prasad's memorial - Jan 11, 2010
- This savings account is a national heritage - Dec 04, 2008
- Theft of Rajendra Prasad's watch being probed - Jan 03, 2012
- Bihar moots Rajghat-style makeover for neglected Prasad memorial - Oct 23, 2009
- Rajendra Prasad memorial ready for makeover - Feb 20, 2010
- Masked men shoot bank cashier, loot Rs.1 million - Mar 28, 2012
- Bihar plans Rajendra Prasad's 125th birth anniversary - Jul 14, 2008
- Bank staff begin 72-hour march to Mumbai - Oct 30, 2011
- Citibank fraud: Gurgaon Police summons Puri's parents for interrogation - Jan 04, 2011
- Unclaimed Money Worth $33 Billion Lying In State Treasuries - May 14, 2010
- Rs.1,360 crore unclaimed money lying with banks: Mukherjee - Dec 03, 2010
- Slum school children run 'Bachcha Bank' in Patna - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: bank officials, bihar, chief manager, customer status, exhibition road, first president, formalities, gupta, India, july 4, legal heirs, matter of pride, money, photograph, prime customer, punjab national bank, rajendra prasad, savings account, siwan