Rs.16-bn upgrade of Kolkata airport launched (Lead)December 29th, 2008 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 29 (IANS) Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel Monday set the ball rolling for a Rs.16-billion upgrade of the international airport here, which will include a new terminal, modern taxiways and extension of a runway so that it can handle the giant Airbus A-380 aircraft.The modernisation project is targeted for completion by May 2011, said a senior official of the Airports Authority of India (AAI) at the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport.
The launch of the project was attended by West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Sitaram Yechuri.
The upgrade will raise the airport’s handling capacity to around 20 million passengers annually from 4.9 million now - 4.06 million for domestic and the remaining 882,000 for international air travel.
- Rs.16-bn upgrade of Kolkata airport launched (Second Lead) - Dec 29, 2008
- Kolkata airport modernisation to be launched on Monday - Dec 29, 2008
- Kolkata airport upgrade to be completed by May 2011 - Dec 24, 2008
- Kolkata airport's new terminal operational by October - May 09, 2012
- Main runway of Mumbai international airport shut till July - Nov 01, 2010
- Amartya Sen to be chief mentor of Presidency University - Jun 04, 2011
- New taxiway to cut congestion at Mumbai airport - Sep 27, 2011
- Agartala airport to be air hub - Mar 02, 2012
- 'New Kolkata airport to be ready in three-four months' - Apr 30, 2012
- Modernisation work of Kolkata airport satisfactory: minister - Jan 05, 2010
- Presidency to hold election - Mar 05, 2012
- President arrives in Kolkata - Sep 21, 2010
- Kolkata airport modernisation cost up by 20 percent - Mar 31, 2010
- 'Civil aviation sector up 18.5 percent in seven years' - Mar 15, 2012
- Turkish firm investing over $100 mn on Mumbai, Delhi airports - Jan 30, 2011