‘Rs.15 bn project for cleaning Yamuna ready’February 22nd, 2009 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 22 (IANS) A Rs.15-billion project to decrease the levels of pollution in the Yamuna river by trapping pollutants at major sewage drains is ready to be implemented, Delhi’s Lieutenant Governor Tejender Khanna announced here Sunday.
“A major project costing Rs.15 billions to trap pollutants at Sewage Treatment Plants (STPs) at 18 major sewage drains falling into the Yamuna river is ready for implementation to ensure that only clean water from the entire city flows into the river,” Khanna said while flagging off Yamuna Rally at Jamia Millia Islamia organised by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD).
Nearly 5,000 citizens, including residents welfare associations, NGOs and university and college students, participated in the event to highlight the causes and effects of river pollution and motivate people to take action for change.
“Sewage water flowing through the major drains of the city through Najafgarh drain, Shahdara drain, Supplementary drain (Upper Portion), will be treated before being allowed to flow into the Yamuna,” Khanna said.
“It is expected that results of efforts to clean Yamuna will be achieved within two and two and a half years.”
- Delhi approves project to keep Yamuna sewage-free - Jul 20, 2010
- Is there any hope for the Yamuna? (Comment - June 5 is World Environment Day) - Jun 05, 2012
- CCI approves project for to make Yamuna River pollution free - May 19, 2010
- Nod to Yamuna Action Plan's third phase for Delhi - Dec 01, 2011
- Delhi students clean up Yamuna ahead of CWG (With Image) - Aug 22, 2010
- Lit up with art, music, behold the Yamuna - Nov 14, 2011
- Court asks Delhi authorities to file ATR on water logging - Aug 01, 2012
- Holy Ganga receives 2,900 million litres sewage daily: PM - Apr 17, 2012
- Through ponds, Agra to clean up Yamuna river - Jun 27, 2011
- Bihar acts to clean the Ganges - Aug 09, 2012
- Hundreds of eco-activists clean up Yamuna - Mar 18, 2012
- Agra battles water crisis as Yamuna is highly polluted - Jan 17, 2011
- What happened to money spent on Yamuna, ask activists - Aug 26, 2012
- Post-Puja, Yamuna battles immersion onslaught - Oct 07, 2011
- Ramesh to meet CMs of Haryana, Delhi to check river Yamuna pollution - Mar 27, 2011