Rs.1 bn to be spent on infrastructure development in BastarFebruary 26th, 2009 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Feb 26 (IANS) Chhattisgarh will invest about Rs.1 billion (Rs.100 crore) to set up infrastructure projects in the insurgency-hit Bastar region, Chief Minister Raman Singh said Thursday.
“The government is conscious of the backwardness of Bastar and we are making serious efforts to build infrastructure - roads, bridges, schools - to improve people’s quality of life,” Singh said at a farmers’ rally in the district.
He said the infrastructure projects would cost the government about Rs.100 crore.
The state government would focus on speedy development of tribal-dominated Bastar region, the chief minister added.
Taking on Maoists who are running a parallel government in the Bastar interiors since the late 1980s, Singh said: “Maoists can never be the well-wishers of Bastar people as they are killing innocent people and blocking development.”
Advising Maoists to “shun violence and return to mainstream of society”, the 56-year-old Singh said: “Violence has no place in democracy. In any civilised society, the government can never tolerate violence, it will be dealt firmly and decisively.”
About 1,250 people are estimated to have been killed in insurgency-related violence since 2004.
- Rs.600 crore sanctioned for Maoist-hit Bastar - Jun 23, 2010
- Funds no problem for Maoist-hit areas: Jairam Ramesh - Jan 16, 2012
- Maoists are inhuman: Chhattisgarh chief minister - Aug 15, 2011
- Chhattisgarh seeks waiver on anti-Maoist forces expenditure - Jan 19, 2011
- Chhattisgarh to invest Rs.2,000 crore on infrastructure - Apr 14, 2010
- Agnivesh to discuss Maoist talks with Hazare Saturday - Apr 15, 2011
- Anti-railway protest halts iron ore shipments (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- General V.K. Singh visits Maoist heartland - Apr 14, 2012
- Chhattisgarh carves out nine more districts - Jan 01, 2012
- Shun violence, join mainstream: President Patil to Maoists - Jun 24, 2011
- Chhattisgarh BJP wooing tribals in violence-hit Bastar - Jun 10, 2012
- Railways to improve services in Chhattisgarh - Feb 08, 2012
- Rs.60 crore for infrastructure in Maoist-hit district - Jul 26, 2011
- Chhattisgarh to speed up electrification in Maoist areas - Mar 02, 2012
- Chhattisgarh fears more red strikes - Aug 20, 2011