Rowling unveils another Potter secret - for auction onlyMay 29th, 2008 - 6:56 pm ICT by admin
London, May 29 (DPA) “Harry Potter” author J.K. Rowling has come up with yet another surprise for fans by revealing that a secret story about the boy wizard will be auctioned in London next month. The “Harry Potter” prequel, which is only 800 words long, was written over the past month and deals with events predating the publication of the first Harry Potter novel in 1997, the author has revealed.
The new contribution, coming a year after the seven-book series finished with “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows”, will not be published.
It is Rowling’s contribution to a special auction at Sotheby’s which have asked leading British authors to create a story for the sale June 10.
If previous success is anything to go by, Rowling’s latest creation could fetch a knock-out price at the sale, to be held at a bookstore in central London.
In December, another of Rowling’s “surprise” works, a fairy story called the “Tales of Beedle the Bard”, fetched a breathtaking 1.95 million pounds ($3.8 million) at auction.
Rowling said it was “fun” to write her latest work, penned on both sides of an A5 card.
Proceeds will go to English PEN, the authors’ association which promotes understanding through literature.
Rowling, who has amassed a fortune of 560 million pounds from the worldwide sale of her books, has said Harry Potter 7 was her last.
- J.K. Rowling announces e-books, Pottermore - Jun 23, 2011
- Harry Potter prequel fetches more than $52,000 at auction - Jun 11, 2008
- Movie to be made on J.K. Rowling's life - Feb 17, 2011
- Is e-reader sounding paperback's death knell? - Apr 13, 2012
- Will J. K. Rowling Pen Down More Harry Potter Books? - Nov 15, 2010
- J.K. Rowlings Harry Potter farewell book set to hit bookshelves - Dec 03, 2008
- Warner Bros gifts diamond bracelet to Rowling - Jul 21, 2011
- Rowling plans 'Harry Potter' encyclopaedia - Apr 18, 2012
- Rowling''s The Tales of Beedle the Bard becomes fastest-selling book of 2008 - Dec 10, 2008
- JK Rowling may win Oscar for the latest Potter film - Nov 29, 2010
- No more Harry Potter books: Daniel Radcliffe - Nov 17, 2010
- Will The 'Harry Potter' Series Really End With 'Deathly Hallows'? - Nov 17, 2010
- JK Rowling fairy tales to go on sale for charity - Aug 01, 2008
- Book on sex: It has 200 blank pages - Mar 04, 2011
- J.K. Rowlings latest book makes $6m for charity - Dec 18, 2008