Ronaldo, Zidane to feature in charity matchOctober 17th, 2008 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Oct 17 (DPA) Drawing on their worldwide fame as football stars, Brazil’s Ronaldo and France’s Zinedine Zidane are to play in a match next month to highlight an anti-poverty campaign, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) said.Both will captain two international teams of renowned footballers in a friendly match Nov 17 in Fes, Morocco. This will be the sixth annual Match Against Poverty organised by UNDP to mobilise global action on poverty.
“The primary objective of the event is to mobilize the public in the fight against poverty and to promote the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), which seek to halve world poverty by 2015,” UNDP said.
There will be eight more games between 2008 and 2015, the proceeds of which will go toward the campaign.
Ronaldo and Zidane are both UNDP goodwill ambassadors and help to promote the MDGs, which include halting the spread of HIV/AIDS, ending poverty and hunger, ensuring universal primary education for all children and ending maternal and child mortality.
“We need to team up against poverty to help fulfil the MDG commitments by 2015,” Ronaldo said.
“It is extremely motivating to see that the Match Against Poverty is reaching wider and wider audiences. This is the match that we all need to win.”
UNDP said proceeds from previous games supported anti-poverty programmes in more than a dozen countries such as Vietnam, Namibia, Niger, Sri Lanka and Tajikistan.
- Ronaldo, Zidane to play for Pakistan, Haiti disaster relief in annual UN charity match - Nov 25, 2010
- Ronaldo, Zidane to play for Africa famine relief - Sep 27, 2011
- Brazilian star Marta's message of women's power in World Cup - Jun 28, 2011
- Drogba, Zidane join UNDP drive to kick away poverty - Jun 14, 2010
- Soccer stars to raise fund for Pakistan flood victims - Dec 14, 2010
- Kaka joins match to raise funds for Haiti quake victims - Jan 22, 2010
- Asia-Pacific unlikely to meet hunger, child mortality goals - Feb 17, 2012
- UNDP soccer match raises over 500,000 dollars for Pakistan, Haiti disaster relief - Feb 04, 2011
- India needs to improve implementation of social schemes - Sep 15, 2010
- UN urges increased efforts to achieve sustainable energy for all - Jan 17, 2012
- Antonio Banderas to judge UNDP photo contest - May 18, 2010
- Six Indians get UN online volunteering award - Dec 03, 2010
- Decentralisation of power key to fighting poverty: Aiyar - Sep 13, 2010
- Ribery starts on the bench against India - Jan 10, 2012
- Madrid eyes Wenger, Loew after fallout with Mourinho - Jan 25, 2012