Ronaldinho dropped from Brazil Olympic probablesJune 8th, 2012 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janerio, June 8 (IANS) Brazil football coach Mano Menezes has dropped Ronaldinho from a 35-man squad of probables for the London Olympics.
The two-time FIFA world player of the year had been included in Menezes’ initial list of 52 announced in March but was subsequently overlooked for Brazil’s series of friendlies in Germany and the US.
Last week Menezes openly criticized the 32-year-old, saying his career was being cut short by “external factors”.
The comment was a thinly veiled reference to Ronaldinho’s alleged disciplinary problems at Flamengo, the club he quit and sued last week for millions of dollars in unpaid wages.
The squad, which will be trimmed to 18 July 6, includes Barcelona defender Daniel Alves who is reportedly making good recovery from a broken collar bone suffered last month.
Menezes also cut Inter Milan goalkeeper Julio Cesar, who was Brazil’s first choice in goal at the 2010 World Cup.
Goalkeepers: Diego Alves (Valencia), Gabriel (Milan), Jefferson (Botafogo), Neto (Fiorentina), Rafael Cabral (Santos), Renan Ribeiro (Atletico-MG).
Defenders: Alex Sandro (Porto), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Danilo (Porto), Fagner (Vasco), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Rafael (Manchester United), Lucas Mendes (Coritiba), Bruno Uvini (Sao Paulo), David Luiz (Chelsea), Dede (Vasco), Juan (Inter de Milao), Marquinhos (Corinthians), Thiago Silva (Milan).
Midfielders: Casemiro (Sao Paulo), Fernando (Gremio), Romulo (Vasco), Sandro (Tottenham), Douglas Costa (Shakhtar Donetsk), Paulo Henrique Ganso (Santos), Giuliano (Dnipro), Lucas (Sao Paulo), Oscar (Internacional), Philippe Coutinho (Espanyol).
Strikers: Alexandre Pato (Milan), Andre (Atletico-MG), Hulk (Porto), Leandro Damiao (Internacional), Neymar (Santos), Wellington Nem (Fluminense).
- Ronaldinho dropped from Brazil Olympic probables - Jun 08, 2012
- Ronaldinho out of Brazil squad - May 12, 2012
- Ronaldinho in Brazil squad, Kaka out - Feb 15, 2012
- Striker Fabiano recalled to Brazil squad - Sep 12, 2012
- Brazil select 22 players for Olympic football squad - Jul 06, 2012
- Fred keeps Fluminense on top - Sep 10, 2012
- Brazil coach puts faith in Lucas - Sep 05, 2012
- Ronaldinho's Atletico falters, Vasco stays top - Jun 18, 2012
- Brazil coach Menezes vows to win 2014 World Cup - Apr 09, 2012
- Brazil's Olympic team rubbish: Romario - Jul 06, 2012
- Corinthians maintain lead in Brazilian championship - Nov 21, 2011
- Sao Paulo win thriller against Santos - Mar 19, 2012
- Ronaldinho rediscovers magic in debut for new club - Jun 10, 2012
- Neymar ensures Santos victory over Flamengo - Sep 13, 2012
- Chelsea star Luiz out of Brazil friendlies - May 26, 2012
Tags: alexandre pato milan, atletico mg, brazil football, broken collar bone, coritiba, daniel alves, disciplinary problems, dnipro, fagner, inter de milao, inter milan, man squad, marcelo real madrid, paulo henrique, rio de janerio, shakhtar donetsk, thiago silva, unpaid wages, world cup squad, world player of the year