Romesh Sharma gets two years in jail for tax evasionMarch 31st, 2008 - 7:19 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 31 (IANS) A city court Monday sentenced Romesh Sharma, the alleged front man of underworld chief Dawood Ibrahim, to two years of rigorous imprisonment for evading Rs.500 million in income tax. Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) Kanwaljeet Arora held Sharma guilty Friday for not depositing the dues amounting to Rs.500 million. The court also fined him Rs.300,000.
The court held him guilty under sections 276-C (2) (wilful attempt to evade tax) and 277 (false statement in declaration) of the Income Tax Act.
“The Income Tax department has proved the case beyond reasonable doubt against Romesh Sharma. Thereby, I sentence him to two years of rigorous imprisonment for evading taxes,” the ACMM said in his order.
Soon, after the sentence, Sharma’s counsel Harish Singh said, “We will appeal in higher court against Sharma’s sentence.”
Last month, Sharma was awarded life imprisonment for his involvement in the murder of fashion designer Kunjum Buddhiraja at his farmhouse in 1999.
- Romesh Sharma convicted for evading Rs.500 million tax - Mar 28, 2008
- Chopper case: Romesh Sharma gets 10-year jail (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Two acquitted in 1999 Kunjum Buddhiraja murder case - Dec 16, 2009
- Romesh Sharma, accomplice acquitted in Kunjum Budhiraja murder (Lead) - Dec 16, 2009
- Chopper case: Romesh Sharma gets 10-year jail - Jul 23, 2012
- Court convicts Romesh Sharma for dodging Rs 50 crore tax - Mar 28, 2008
- Tax evation hits infrastructure development, says court - Aug 10, 2012
- Pakistani MP jailed for graft - Oct 27, 2011
- Bangaru Laxman sentenced to four years' jail (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- I met Dawood Ibrahim once: Sanjay Dutt - Aug 15, 2012
- Chopper case: Bail for suspected Dawood aide Romesh Sharma (Lead) - Oct 18, 2011
- Two convicts on parole held for threatening woman - May 13, 2010
- Income Tax official gets 4 years jail for bribery - Feb 01, 2012
- Bangaru Laxman gets four years' jail for bribery (Second Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Airport loader held for theft gets chance to reform - Apr 11, 2011