Romesh Sharma convicted for murder of fashion designerFebruary 15th, 2008 - 9:36 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 15 (IANS) A city court Friday convicted Romesh Sharma, allegedly an associate of mobster Dawood Ibrahim, and five others for the murder of fashion designer Kunjum Budhiraja in 1999. The quantum of sentence will be pronounced Feb 18. Additional Sessions Judge S.P. Garg held Sharma and five others guilty of murder of the 29-year-old designer.
Budhiraja was shot dead March 20, 1999, by a group of men from Uttar Pradesh allegedly at Sharma’s behest when she went to offer prayers at a temple in his south Delhi farmhouse.
Sharma’s two sisters, Jaspreet alias Sonu and Dolly, were also accused of involvement in Budhiraja’s murder.
However, the judge acquitted Jaspreet alias Sonu while convicting Sharma, Dolly, Surender Mishra, Hemchand, Santram and Ramesh under sections 302 (murder), 120 B (criminal conspiracy) and 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code.
Sharma dressed up in white dhoti-kurta with vermilion smeared on his forehead looked calm and composed as the judge pronounced him guilty. His two sisters, however, could not control their emotions and cried.
“I will come with you to jail,” said Sonu to Dolly, who could even face death penalty as the maximum punishment.
“How can he convict you and not me?” she asked Dolly.
According to public prosecutor S.K.Das, Sharma, then lodged in Tihar Jail, came out on parole to attend Budhiraja’s funeral and carried out wedding rituals with her body at the cremation ground.
While framing charges against the accused, the court said the facts and circumstances of the case were sufficient to show prima facie that Sharma was an active participant in the conspiracy leading to the murder.
The court said: “The accused arranged the arrival of Budhiraja at the farmhouse where the killers were already awaiting for her.”
Sharma has been in judicial custody since 1999 and is facing trial in as many 16 criminal cases.
- Romesh Sharma, accomplice acquitted in Kunjum Budhiraja murder (Lead) - Dec 16, 2009
- Two acquitted in 1999 Kunjum Buddhiraja murder case - Dec 16, 2009
- Court notice to Delhi Police on Romesh Sharma's plea - May 13, 2008
- Romesh Sharma, five others get life terms for designer murder - Feb 18, 2008
- Delhi High Court admits Romesh Sharma's appeal in Kunjum murder case - May 12, 2008
- Romesh Sharma, five others convicted in Kunjum murder case - Feb 15, 2008
- Romesh Sharma, five others get life sentence in Kunjum murder case - Feb 18, 2008
- Two convicts on parole held for threatening woman - May 13, 2010
- Romesh Sharma, five others get life terms for designer's murder - Feb 18, 2008
- Shivani murder: R.K. Sharma's acquittal challenged in apex court (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Chopper case: Romesh Sharma gets 10-year jail (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Acquittal of five in Shivani Bhatnagar murder case contested (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Godhra case: Death sentence for 11, life terms for 20 - Mar 01, 2011
- Godhra case: Court to decide quantum of sentence today - Feb 25, 2011
- Sukhdev Pehalwan gets life term for Nitish Katara murder (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011