Romesh Sharma convicted for evading Rs.500 million taxMarch 28th, 2008 - 9:08 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 28 (IANS) A city court Friday convicted Romesh Sharma, the alleged front man of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, for evading Rs.500 million income tax in 1996. Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) Kanwaljeet Arora held Sharma guilty of not depositing the dues amounting to Rs.500 million in income tax.
The court held him guilty under sections 276-C (2) (wilful attempt to evade tax) and 277 (false statement in declaration) of the Income Tax Act.
The court would pronounce the quantum of sentence Monday.
Sharma can be sent to seven years of rigorous imprisonment under these sections along with a fine.
“The Income Tax Department has proved the case beyond reasonable doubt against Romesh Sharma. Thereby I convicted him for these offences under the Income Tax Act,” the ACMM said in his 19-page judgement.
Last month, Sharma was awarded life imprisonment for his involvement in the 1999 murder of fashion designer Kunjum Buddhiraja at his farm house.
- Romesh Sharma gets two years in jail for tax evasion - Mar 31, 2008
- Chopper case: Romesh Sharma gets 10-year jail (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Two acquitted in 1999 Kunjum Buddhiraja murder case - Dec 16, 2009
- Court convicts Romesh Sharma for dodging Rs 50 crore tax - Mar 28, 2008
- Romesh Sharma, accomplice acquitted in Kunjum Budhiraja murder (Lead) - Dec 16, 2009
- Chopper case: Romesh Sharma gets 10-year jail - Jul 23, 2012
- Tax evation hits infrastructure development, says court - Aug 10, 2012
- I met Dawood Ibrahim once: Sanjay Dutt - Aug 15, 2012
- Bangaru Laxman sentenced to four years' jail (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Bangaru Laxman gets four years' jail for bribery (Second Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Two convicts on parole held for threatening woman - May 13, 2010
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for bribery, sentencing Saturday (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Court frames charges against Abu Salem - Dec 15, 2009
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for taking bribe (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for bribery, sentencing Saturday (Third Lead) - Apr 27, 2012