Rollback of fares is PM’s prerogative: MamataMarch 19th, 2012 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) The rollback in passenger tariff, proposed in the 2012-13 rail budget, was a prerogative of the prime minister, West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee said Monday after meeting Manmohan Singh.
“It was a good meeting… the issue of rollback of passenger fare hike and making party leader Mukul Roy as the new railway minister are the prerogatives of the prime minister,” Banerjee told reporters.
Banerjee was accompanied by Trinamool parliamentary party leader Sudip Bandyopadhyay.
The prime minister had said in the Lok Sabha earlier in the day that he had forwarded the resignation of Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi, a Trinamool MP, to President Pratibha Patil.
Banerjee arrived in the capital Sunday and she said that the hike would put strain on the common man. Her opposition to the proposed hike in passenger fares in the budget forced Trivedi’s resignation.
- PM regrets Trivedi's going; Mukul Roy to be sworn in Tuesday (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi will be told when to go: Trinamool - Mar 15, 2012
- No threat to UPA: Trinamool - Mar 15, 2012
- Mukul Roy sworn in as cabinet minister (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi speaks to Mamata, to quit (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Mukul Roy sworn in, to take over railway ministry (Third Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi sends resignation to PM - Mar 15, 2012
- Want UPA but won't tolerate humiliation: Mamata (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Mamata tells PM: Let Mukul Roy replace Trivedi - Mar 15, 2012
- Trinamool Congress demands fare hike roll-back - Mar 14, 2012
- Trivedi replacement a 'farce', says CPI-M (Lead, Changing dateline) - Mar 19, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi speaks to Mamata, to quit (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Rail budget row: Congress keeps options open, Trivedi set to go (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 15, 2012
- Trinamool derails fare hike, BJP, Left slam budget (Political Roundup) - Mar 14, 2012
- Mamata gets Left support on rail fare rollback (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: chief minister, common man, dinesh, fare hike, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, parliamentary party, party leader, passenger fares, prerogative, prerogatives, president pratibha patil, railway minister, rollback, sudip, trinamool congress, trivedi, west bengal