Rohit can be one of India’s greatest cricketers: WarneMay 12th, 2011 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 12 (IANS) Australian spin legend Shane Warne feels that Mumbai batsman Rohit Sharma could become one of the greatest Indian cricketers ever if he plays the game with the right attitude.
Warne, who will retire from professional cricket after the ongoing fourth season of Indian Premier League (IPL), said Sharma has “all the talent in the world” to become a match-winner for India.
“Rohit Sharma has got all the talent in the world, if he could just get his mind right and get his attitude right,” Warne told CNN-IBN in an interview.
Warne advised Sharma to take help from his senior team mates at the Mumbai Indians — master blaster Sachin Tendulkar and fast bowler Lasith Malinga.
“If his (Sharma) one thought was ‘I want to become the best cricketer I possibly can’. Every morning he woke up and try and talk to Sachin and ask him ‘Sir, if I could have lunch or dinner, How do you think about batting? How do you approach it in these conditions?’ Every minute of the day until Sachin says, ‘Mate can I have five minutes break?’ Be a pester to him,” said Warne.
“And when he is playing ‘Malinga how are you trying to get the batsmen out?’ He should do that every morning he gets up, ‘How am I going to become the best I can possibly be?’”
“He could be a match-winner, world beater and one of the best Indian cricketers ever, he has got that much talent.”
The Rajasthan Royals captain also praised Virat Kohli for establishing himself as a successful international cricketer in a short span of time.
“I saw Kohli in the first year and thought there is something about the kid. He could play the short ball well.
“There are not too many young cricketers in the world that have played just a couple of games and can play with so much comfort. You have to get into stride first,” said Warne.
- Rohit can be a good finisher: Dhoni - Mar 19, 2012
- IPL is changing the face of world cricket: Pollock - May 07, 2012
- This is a very important phase in my career, says Sharma - Jun 07, 2011
- I was always determined to do well, says Kohli - Jun 09, 2011
- Rohit Sharma keen on making Test team - Dec 22, 2010
- 'Hungry' Pak, West Indies can "really be dangerous teams" in World Cup 2011: Sohail - Feb 19, 2011
- Gambhir is the most important player for India: Sohail - Feb 19, 2011
- BCCI should rotate players to cut injuries: Akram - Aug 31, 2011
- Happy to win tournament: Lasith - Oct 10, 2011
- Ready to play in Sydney: Rohit Sharma - Jan 01, 2012
- Selectors drop Yuvraj, call-up Rohit for third Test - Nov 17, 2011
- Sachin best to decide his retirement: Azhar - Apr 13, 2012
- Tendulkar was the most awkward opponent, says Warne - May 21, 2011
- Don't put pressure on Kohli, says Sachin Tendulkar - Mar 21, 2012
- Fletcher favours more opportunities for Indian youngsters - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: attitude, cnn, cnn ibn, cricket, five minutes, indian cricketers, indians, ipl, kohli, malinga, master blaster, mumbai, New Delhi, premier league, rajasthan, rohit sharma, sachin tendulkar, shane warne, span of time, team mates