Roerich paintings’ theft: Court writes to British home officeJanuary 17th, 2012 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 17 (IANS) A Delhi court has issued a letter rogatory to the British home office on a request from the CBI probing a case related to Russian painter Nicholas Roerich’s two paintings allegedly stolen from here and presented to a London auction house.
Letter rogatory is a formal request from a court to a foreign authority for assistance.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav, in an order made available Tuesday, issued the letter rogatory with a request to allow the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to conduct an investigation in that country.
The two paintings, titled Himalaya Kanchenjunga and Sunset Kashmir, were among the 13 painting of Roerich owned by the Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) in Pusa area in central Delhi.
The two paintings were found missing after May 30, 2009. Dean and joint director (Education) of IARI H.S. Gaur filed a complaint after the incident.
Accused N.S. Pakhale retired as head of library services at IARI May 30, 2009. Later, the two paintings were presented for auction to Sotheby’s, London, by Zahid Nazir, a resident of Pakistan, and Rafay Nazir Khan, a resident of London.
The CBI submitted before the court that it was necessary to conduct investigation in Britain to collect evidence.
- Roerich estate has 37 rare paintings of Russian painter - Sep 18, 2012
- No inventory of Roerich's paintings, says trust member - Oct 10, 2011
- Another row dogs International Roerich Trust - Feb 26, 2012
- International Roerich Trust mired in controversy - Sep 29, 2010
- Chronology of Bofors scandal - Jan 03, 2011
- Goa's drug mafia nexus: Swedish model's statement recorded - Mar 23, 2012
- Munch's 'The Scream' sold for record $119 million at U.S. art auction - May 03, 2012
- CBI issues letters rogatory to trace its website defacers - Apr 05, 2011
- Supreme Court upholds Karnataka's acquisition of Devika Rani's estate - Aug 09, 2011
- 19th century painting sells for record $5.2 mn - Apr 26, 2012
- Registered 18 defence related cases: CBI - Mar 28, 2012
- Medical scam accused sent to CBI custody - Jan 06, 2012
- Court allows CBI to seek Pakistan's help in hacking case - Feb 15, 2011
- Chidambaram overruled officials on 2G, apex court told - Apr 04, 2012
- 'Explain turnaround on Dayanidhi Maran' (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: agricultural research institute, auction house, cbi, central bureau of investigation, central delhi, delhi court, director education, formal request, gaur, iari, indian agricultural research institute, kanchenjunga, letter rogatory, london auction, magistrate, nazir, nicholas roerich, russian painter, yadav, zahid