Roebuck ruined my life, says victimNovember 17th, 2011 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 17 (IANS) Itai Gondo, a student whose complaint about alleged sexual harassment prompted cricket columnist Peter Roebuck to commit suicide, has come out in open for the first time and confirmed that the former Somerset captain sexually assaulted him when the two met in a Cape Town hotel after days of correspondence through Facebook.
“I was in shock and told myself that it couldn’t be happening,” Gondo was quoted as saying by The Sun. “He (Roebuck) has ruined my life,” said Gondo.
Gondo, a Zimbabwean refugee, said that he approached Roebuck through a university pal who knew one of 17 “adopted sons” who live at a 10-bedroom home in Pietermaritzburg, run by the writer.
Gondo said Roebuck spent days luring him through the social networking site, The Sun reported.
The victim said during the exchanges, Roebuck asked him to refer to him as “dad” and spoke of his devotion to his “sons” and offered to give him help with the university fees.
The two finally met in Roebuck’s hotel in Cape Town and spoke for hours before the cricket writer allegedly pinned him to the bed and launched a sex assault. The attack only stopped when Gondo’s mobile phone rang.
Gondo later alerted the cops of what had conspired between the two and when the police came to arrest Roebuck he plunged from his hotel window to his death.
- Police to question male students in Roebuck's suicide investigation - Nov 21, 2011
- Investigator's collect semen samples to probe Roebuck's death - Nov 20, 2011
- 'Roebuck was in state of utter despair moments before death' - Nov 15, 2011
- Sex with Facebook friend adds new twist to Roebuck's death - Nov 14, 2011
- Radio host claims Roebuck made him feel uncomfortable - Nov 15, 2011
- Roebuck was being questioned for sexual assault: Reports - Nov 14, 2011
- Roebuck has committed suicide: South African police - Nov 13, 2011
- Cowan thanks mentor Roebuck for kick-starting his career - Dec 21, 2011
- SJFI mourns Peter Roebuck's death - Nov 13, 2011
- Australian team offers condolences to Roebuck's family - Nov 14, 2011
- India will remember Roebuck for his indictment of Australian team - Nov 13, 2011
- Brit-Indian bride's murder suspects positively identified in Cape Town - Nov 29, 2010
- Roebuck's family calls for second probe - Dec 05, 2011
- Brit-Indian bride was upset on her honeymoon flight to Cape Town, father claims - Nov 28, 2010
- Pak cricket needs urgent catharsis to rid it of its cancer: Roebuck - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: cape town hotel, columnist, cops, correspondence, cricket, dad, devotion, facebook, hotel in cape town, hotel window, itai, mobile phone, peter roebuck, refugee, sex assault, sexual harassment, shock, social networking site, somerset, suicide