Robot chef who can make rasam, sambarMay 20th, 2008 - 4:23 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, May 20 (IANS) Here is a chef that can prepare lip-smacking sambar, rasam and vatta kozhambu and may give the best cooks in Tamil Nadu a run for their money. But the secret of Chef-bot’s culinary skills lies not in a kitchen but in a laboratory. Four students of the Saveetha Engineering College in Sriperumbudur, Chennai’s industrial suburb, have designed a robot, Chef-bot, as part of their college project. As of now, Chef-bot’s skills are limited to Tamil preparations.
This chef serves sambar, the most complicated among these dishes, in 24 minutes, vatta kozhambu in 18 minutes and rasam in 10 minutes.
What more could a working man or woman want at the end of a hard day at work? A piping hot dinner for as many as four people!
The contraption looks like a canteen cart in a plane. A command panel controls operations. The robot is programmed to chop, mix and stir and cook. One has to feed in the menu.
The ingredients, like vegetables, lentils, spices, salt, tamarind and water are on the first shelve. The output container is in the last shelve.
Jesley Jose, M. Jambulingam, P. Chembian and Aravind Ganesh are ecstatic about the result, hoping the kitchen assistant model will be picked up especially by south Indian students abroad, dying for authentic sambar and rasam.
The project will be showcased at an international conference on embedded systems applications in July at Las Vegas, in the US.
- Feast on yam leaf, jungle asparagus when in Himachal (Feature with images) - Jun 08, 2011
- Now robots become chefs in Chinese restaurant - Feb 18, 2011
- It's Onam , but few homes will do the full 26-dish sadhya - Aug 24, 2012
- Indian cuisine is next main food fashion: Michelin chefs - Sep 20, 2012
- Canadians offer cheaper substitutes for costly Indian lentils - Jun 07, 2010
- Book launched on coastal Maharashtrian cuisine - Feb 03, 2012
- Knives are out: Cut and taste co-related - Mar 22, 2012
- Nepal to get a taste of Indian chef Sanjeev Kapoor - Dec 29, 2010
- India, and its art of spices - Jun 20, 2011
- Rachael Ray Stars NKOTB's Donnie Wahlberg - Sep 23, 2011
- Egyptian woman seeks divorce over Ramadan cooking row - Aug 09, 2011
- Thali goes quick-eat in world of corporate bites (With Images) - Aug 21, 2011
- Wayne Rooney brushing up his cooking skills - May 03, 2010
- Badminton, chats with new friends: Raja at home in jail - May 29, 2011
- Beer batter squids, anybody? Or beer cheese soup? (Eating out with IANS) - Dec 14, 2010