Robin Hood’s true identity revealedApril 3rd, 2011 - 11:53 am ICT by IANS
London, April 3 (IANS) The identity of mysterious outlaw Robin Hood - who robbed the rich to help the poor - has finally been revealed in a new book.
The famous British character was a farmer named Roger Godberd, according to a retired lecturer of the University of Leicester, the Daily Express reports. David Baldwin, 64, said he has managed to “unmask” the outlaw after decades of research.
His book - “Robin Hood: The English Outlaw Unmasked” - reveals how Godberd was finally pardoned and died at his farm in the 1290s. Godberd had led a band of men who robbed travellers. He was even captured by the Sheriff of Nottingham, he said.
The outlaw was also accused of poaching deer in Sherwood Forest along with his companion Walter Devyas - believed to be the “Little John” of the popular legend.
“There are probably several outlaws whose deeds have contributed to the modern-day legends of Robin Hood. But I believe there is one man whose career underpins the stories,” said Baldwin.
- Brit framer buried in unmarked grave is outlaw behind Robin Hood legend? - Apr 02, 2011
- William Wallace: The man who 'sparked Robin Hood myth' - Jan 02, 2011
- Sir Walter Scott 'invented English legends', claims author - Aug 17, 2010
- Robin Hood was a Yorkshireman, claims Russell Crowe - May 18, 2010
- 'Robin Hood' leaves you wanting for more (IANS Movie Review) - Jun 11, 2010
- Crowe nearly quit 'Robin Hood' over script issues - Apr 06, 2010
- Actor, 8, settles Robin Hood 'from Nottinghamshire or Yorkshire' feud! - May 13, 2010
- Robin Hood to premiere at the Cannes - Mar 27, 2010
- Ridley Scott's 'Robin Hood' to open annual Cannes Film Festival - Mar 27, 2010
- 1 in 3 people associates Nottingham to Robin Hood: Study - Nov 05, 2010
- Robin Hood, money-lender? - Mar 07, 2010
- Movie Review: Robin Hood - Jun 11, 2010
- Robin Hood's prison under Nottingham city to be scanned with laser - Apr 24, 2010
- Americans want to pardon Billy the Kid after 130yrs - Dec 30, 2010
- 'Robin Hood' Russell Crowe gets stamped - May 07, 2010
Tags: british character, companion, daily express, david baldwin, decades, deer, lecturer, legends of robin hood, london, outlaw, outlaws, robin hood, sheriff of nottingham, sherwood forest, travellers, true identity, university of leicester