Robbers pose as policeman, steal Rs.350 mn from vanAugust 10th, 2008 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
Tiruchirappalli (Tamil Nadu), Aug 10 (IANS) A five-member gang posed as policemen and robbed a jewellery shop’s van to the tune of Rs.350 million near here Sunday, the police said. The locked van used to transport gold and precious stones by Mangal and Mangal Jewellers from Tamil Nadu capital Chennai, 300 km from here, was carrying cash and documents for purchases and safe storage when the five men disguised as patrolling police officers waylaid and looted it, the police said.
Those in the van were locked in by the robbers and they were rescued three hours later by passersby who heard knocks on the doors and cries of alarm.
The thieves had parked the vehicle off the beaten track to avoid its early detection, the police added.
A search was on to apprehend the robbers following the registration of a first information report (FIR) by the undertaking’s manager S. Srinivasan, according to officials.
- Police salary van attacked in Pakistan - Jul 03, 2012
- Three men beaten to death in Maharashtra - May 09, 2012
- Jeweller's employee held for helping robbers - Dec 22, 2010
- Cash, jewellery wowrth Rs.60 lakh looted in Ghaziabad - Jul 20, 2011
- Jeweller's house looted at gunpoint - Nov 30, 2011
- Gold finance company robbed - Jun 22, 2012
- Agra jewellers down shutters to protest silver heist - Feb 21, 2012
- Four locked flats robbed in Delhi - Jan 17, 2011
- Rs.15 lakh robbery in Ghaziabad jewellery shop - Feb 08, 2010
- Assailants rob retired principal's house, 1 held - Apr 23, 2012
- Man robbed at Noida mall, two hurt in shootout - Aug 06, 2012
- Chandigarh jewellers asked to install security systems - Jan 23, 2011
- Six arrested for robbery in Delhi - Jun 16, 2012
- Delhi jewellery shop robbed at gun point - May 09, 2012
- Six killed in Iraq robbery - Mar 12, 2012