Robbers loot bus full of passengers in DelhiMarch 26th, 2009 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 26 (IANS) In a daring night time robbery on a moving bus, three armed men boarded a Blueline, looted over 35 passengers and decamped with Rs.5,000 in cash as well as mobile phones, police in the Indian capital said Thursday.
Passengers, however, claimed there were as many as six robbers.
The robbers boarded the bus around 11.15 p.m. Wednesday in the Seelampur area of northeast Delhi, police said. The bus runs on route number 215 between Seemapuri and Shivaji Stadium.
“One among them boarded the bus from the front door while the other two got on from the rear side near the Seelampur flyover. They took out arms and asked the driver not to stop the bus,” Deputy Commissioner of Police S.S. Yadav told IANS.
“The robbers brandished arms and asked the passengers to hand over their valuables and mobile phones. They also assaulted two passengers, hitting them on the head with a revolver after they objected,” said Yadav.
The robbers got off at a deserted place near Welcome area and escaped on foot, he said.
“Police have rounded up over a dozen people in the area. We are interrogating them and the robbers will be arrested soon,” said Yadav.
According to police, the robbers took away Rs.5,000 in cash and six mobile phones from the passengers.
However, the passengers claimed there were six armed robbers and police reached the site late despite several phone calls.
“Six armed men boarded the bus, brandishing arms and threatening to kill us if we raised an alarm. They snatched Rs.3,500 from me and hit me with the butt of a revolver as I objected,” said Ramesh Kumar, a victim.
Geeta Kumari, another passenger, said: “Two passengers became unconscious after being hit by the robbers. We were so scared that we handed over all our valuables. It is very unsafe to travel in the capital and despite several phone calls being made to the police control room, its van reached the spot after half an hour.”
- Pakistan bank, phone shop robbed - Jul 20, 2012
- Roadways bus looted in Ghaziabad - Mar 28, 2011
- Another train robbery in Bihar - Aug 21, 2010
- Armed men loot, assault train passengers in Bihar (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- West Delhi area rocked by four robberies in 90 minutes - Jan 10, 2011
- Armed men rob Rs.7.4 lakh in Gurgaon - May 02, 2011
- Bus passengers robbed in Tamil Nadu - Dec 08, 2009
- Gang of bus robbers busted, 11 arrested - Feb 11, 2011
- Assailants rob retired principal's house, 1 held - Apr 23, 2012
- Rs.40 lakh robbed from jeweller's house - Apr 07, 2011
- Armed men loot passengers in Bihar - Feb 23, 2010
- 20 of family kept hostage as robbers ransack home - Jul 16, 2010
- Jewellery shop looted in Ghaziabad - Feb 07, 2012
- Train passengers robbed in Bihar - Jul 06, 2012
- Bus passengers lynch robber in Mexico - May 25, 2012