Robbers break through bank wall, steal Rs.5 mn cash, goldMay 6th, 2011 - 10:57 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 6 (IANS) Robbers carted away Rs.2.2 million in cash and gold and jewellery valued at Rs.2.8 million from a branch of state-run Vijaya Bank here early Friday after drilling a hole through the bank’s rear wall, a senior police official said.
“The robbery appears to have taken place in the early hours when more than two miscreants sneaked into the unguarded bank from the back wall after drilling a big hole through it. Before breaking into the strong room, the thieves destroyed cameras, closed circuit television sets (CCTVs) and other security systems,” Bangalore Northeast Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Ravi Kanthe Gowda told reporters here.
The robbery came to light when the lone security guard alerted the police and officials after he arrived for morning duty though the branch at Vidyaranyapura was shut on account of holiday for Basava Jayanti.
“The miscreants took advantage of a vacant site behind the branch building and absence of a night security guard. Though two robbery attempts were made earlier, the bank failed to have a night security guard or take fool-proof measures to protect it,” Gowda said.
The Chikkajala police station registered a robbery case on a written complaint by the branch officials, who found a dozen lockers, files and important documents were destroyed.
“We have formed three special teams to investigate the case and collected fingerprints and other circumstantial evidence in the branch premises to trace the culprits,” Gowda added.
- Tight security in Bangalore for Independence Day - Aug 14, 2011
- Delhi Police ask banks to beef up security - Sep 03, 2009
- Rs.59 lakh looted from bank van in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 12, 2011
- Pakistani panel to stop bank robberies - Dec 22, 2011
- Robbers punch hole in bank's wall, steal computer - Jan 23, 2011
- No breakthrough in Rs.7.6 million bank loot case - Oct 07, 2010
- Robbery bid at Indian bank in Trinidad and Tobago - Jun 11, 2012
- Argentina's `robbery of the century' upstaged by new heist - Mar 12, 2010
- Two Britons arrested for Hollywood-style heists - Jun 30, 2012
- 12 inmates escape from juvenile home - Apr 30, 2011
- Gaiety, patriotic fervour mark I-Day in Karnataka - Aug 15, 2011
- Vijaya Bank opens 40 new branches, 80 ATMs - Oct 21, 2011
- Kurukshetra University president's killer held in Gurgaon - Apr 05, 2012
- Woman helps to rob bank in Pakistan - Nov 17, 2010
- 'Tamil Nadu will send police to protect Mullaperiyar' - May 27, 2012
Tags: basava, branch officials, cash gold, circuit television, circumstantial evidence, commissioner of police, culprits, dcp, deputy commissioner, fingerprints, fool proof, gowda, miscreants, night security, police official, ravi, robbers, robbery, security guard, strong room