Road accidents killed 14,000 Russians in 2012August 14th, 2012 - 10:09 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Around 14,000 people have died in traffic accidents in Russia since the beginning of the year, police statistics show.
More than 107,000 road accidents resulting in deaths and injuries were registered in Russia in January-July 2012. The country has a population of around 142 million.
Over 13,800 people died in those accidents — a three-percent increase year-on-year — and 137,700 have been injured, seven percent more than in 2011.
Last year, 28,000 people died in almost 200,000 traffic accidents.
In the US, home to 314 million people, more than 30,000 people die in road accidents every year.
Most of the accidents registered in Russia over the past seven month have occurred because of drivers violating traffic rules, including speeding, crossing over into the opposite lane and ignoring red lights, the statistics show.
Such violations claimed the lives of 12,150 since January and left some 125,600 people injured.
The poor state of roads has been the second major and increasingly frequent cause of accidents. Some 24,600 such accidents were registered in Russia over the past seven months - an 8.7-percent rise year-on-year.
Poor road maintenance resulted in 3,900 traffic-related deaths in January-July, 16.5 percent more that in the same period last year, and left some 32,000 people injured, a 10.7-percent increase.
Drunk drivers killed more than 1,000 people and injured more than 9,850 in 6,700 accidents since January, but the toll from such accidents has decreased by some 12 percent year-on-year.
In 2010, then president Dmitry Medvedev signed a bill enforcing a zero alcohol limit for drivers. The legislation prohibited drivers from getting behind the wheel with any amount of alcohol in their blood.
Drunk drivers in Russia face suspension of their license for a period of between 18 to 36 months.
- 28,000 died in Russian road accidents in 2011 - Feb 10, 2012
- New law sobers up drunk drivers in China - May 23, 2012
- Drunk driving cases drop in China - Sep 14, 2011
- Road accidents spiral in Bihar, kill 1,500 - May 04, 2012
- Nearly 200 dead in Nepal accidents this year - Jul 15, 2012
- 2,700 students killed in China road accidents in 2011 - Jun 02, 2012
- Less road accidents at night in Delhi: Police - Apr 18, 2012
- Ahead of Holi, Delhi Police cracks down on drunk driving - Mar 06, 2012
- Truck crashes into passenger bus in southern Vietnam, killing 10 - Nov 07, 2011
- Over 600 killed this year in Himachal accidents - Aug 21, 2010
- 23 die in China accident - Apr 12, 2012
- Himachal Pradesh road mishaps claim 721 lives this fiscal - Dec 21, 2011
- Delhi Police anti-drinking drive to continue after Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- No thought for pedestrians, cyclists on Indian roads: Experts - Apr 05, 2012
- South Africa taxi accident kills 11 - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: alcohol limit, cause of accidents, deaths, dmitry medvedev, drunk drivers, face suspension, frequent cause, legislation, moscow, police statistics, ria novosti, road accidents, road maintenance, russia, russians, seven month, seven months, traffic accidents, traffic rules, wheel