R.K. Anand offers apologyJanuary 18th, 2011 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 18 (IANS) Advocate R.K. Anand Tuesday offered an “unqualified and unequivocal” apology in the Supreme Court for his action to manipulate and derail the trial in the BMW hit-and-run case involving former navy chief S.M. Nanda’s grandson Sanjeev Nanda.The apex court bench of Justice B. Sudershan Reddy, Justice G.S. Singhvi and Justice Aftab Alam said that the apology of Anand would be considered when court holds hearing on its notice as to why Anand’s sentence should not be increased.
Anand’s petition challenging his conviction by the Delhi High Court for his alleged attempt to influence controversial prosecution witness Sunil Kulkarni in the case was dismissed by the apex court in July 2009.
The apex court upheld Anand’s conviction and the stripping off of his senior advocate status for contempt of court.
The high court punished both Anand and Special Public Prosecutor I.U. Khan in the case.
While dismissing his plea, the apex court issued notice as to why the sentence should not be enhanced. While Anand’s plea was dismissed, the plea of Khan was accepted by the apex court.
Anand was exposed by a news channel in a sting operation.
Sanjeev Nanda was convicted of killing six people while he was driving his BMW in an inebriated condition in Lodhi Colony area of south Delhi Jan 10, 1999.
Appearing for Anand, senior counsel M.R. Kalla said that his client was offering apology at the very outset of the hearing. He said that Anand has already suffered a lot and lost his esteem in public life.
The court was told Anand’s practice had been wrecked and his public standing too had been dented.
- Supreme Court asks lawyer to file fresh apology - May 03, 2011
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- Apex court convicts senior lawyer R.K. Anand for contempt - Jul 29, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- SC upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Nanda's friend contests his BMW conviction in apex court - Jul 24, 2009
- Apex court upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan - Jul 10, 2012
- SC upholds R K Anand's conviction, clears I U Khan in BMW case - Jul 29, 2009
- Apex court advises Nanda on courtship, wedlock - Apr 12, 2010
- Actor John Abraham detained - Mar 09, 2012
- Supreme Court to hear Rajiv killers' plea Oct 19 - Oct 11, 2011
- Anand convicted for contempt of court, may get more punishment (Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
Tags: aftab, alam, anand, apex, apex court, apology, contempt of court, conviction, court bench, delhi high court, kalla, navy chief, outset, plea, prosecution witness, public prosecutor, sanjeev nanda, senior counsel, south delhi, sting operation