Rizwanur was provoked to commit suicide: high courtAugust 14th, 2008 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 14 (IANS) Saying Muslim youth Rizwanur Rehman was provoked to commit suicide last year, the Calcutta High Court Thursday asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to file charges against six people, including his father-in-law, industrialist Ashok Todi. Justice Dipankar Dutta said: “Rehman was provoked to commit suicide by his in-laws, Ashok and Pradip Todi, and four police officers - Gyanwant Singh, Ajay Kumar, Sukanta Chakraborty and Krishnendu Das - last year. The CBI should file chargesheet in the lower court against them as soon as possible.”
Rehman, a Muslim, had married Ashok Todi’s daughter Priyanka, a Hindu, last year. A graphic designer, he was found dead by the railway tracks of Patipukur in north Kolkata Sep 21, 2007, barely a month after the marriage. As a Hindu-Muslim love story gone horribly wrong, the death had shocked the entire nation.
Ashok Todi and his brother Pradip, along with four city police officers, were subsequently accused of threatening and pressurising Rehman to stay away from Priyanka.
Justice Dutta said it was wrong to call Rehman and his wife Priyanka to Lalbazar - the Kolkata police headquarters - for investigation.
“Even after Rehman presented the legal documents and proof of his marriage with Priyanka Todi, why were they called to Lalbazar a number of times?”
“Besides, the Kareya Police Station, where Rehman went to seek help against the Todis and the four police officers, also made a mistake by not filing his complaint,” Dutta said.
The court also criticised ex-police commissioner Prasun Mukherjee for defending the police officers and giving wrong information about Rehman’s death to the media.
“The report presented by West Bengal’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) was also misleading,” the court said.
- Accused must be punished: Rizwanur's family after court ruling - Aug 14, 2008
- Court asks CBI to conduct fresh probe into Rizwanur death - May 18, 2010
- CBI prays for abetment to suicide in Rizwanur case - Mar 21, 2011
- Put Ashok Todi to trial in Rizwanur case: Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Rizwanur case: Accused police officers asked to surrender - Nov 18, 2008
- Court issues arrest warrant against Todi brothers in Rizwanur case - Oct 27, 2008
- Rizwanur case: cops get bail, suicide note submitted in court - Oct 01, 2008
- Police officers accused in Rizwanur case now in custody - Sep 30, 2008
- Rizwanur Rehman death: Apex court questions Bengal, Todi - Oct 18, 2010
- Punish Kolkata cops, Rizwanur's mother tells apex court (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Rizwanur case: Judge receives threat letter, security tightened - Nov 08, 2008
- Rizwan case: Calcutta HC directs CBI to initiate fresh probe - May 18, 2010
- Rizwanur case: Calcutta High Court to frame charges against Todi - Mar 21, 2011
- Try Todi for Rizwanur's death, says Supreme Court (Third Lead) - Mar 02, 2011
- Mamata participates in rally to demand justice for Rizwanur - Oct 02, 2008