Rizwanur case: Accused police officers asked to surrenderNovember 18th, 2008 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 18 (IANS) The Calcutta High Court Tuesday asked three police officers allegedly involved in last year’s mysterious death of Rizwanur Rehman to surrender by Friday.The court cancelled the bail pleas of former city police deputy commissioner Ajay Kumar, former assistant commissioner Sukanti Chakraborty and sub-inspector Krishnendu Das.
“The three officers are being directed to surrender before the metropolitan magistrate by Friday,” the high court order said.
The three police officers had surrendered before a city court Sep 30 but were granted interim bail. The deceased’s mother Kishwar Jahn had appleased to the high court for their bail cancellation.
Rizwanur, a 30-year-old graphic designer working with a multimedia firm, was found dead Sep 21 last year near the railway tracks at Kolkata’s Patipukur suburb, barely a month after marrying Hindu girl Priyanka Todi, daughter of industrialist Ashok Todi.
The Calcutta High court Aug 14 said Rizwanur was forced to commit suicide and asked the Central Bureau of Investigations (CBI) to file chargesheets in the lower court against six accused - Ashok Todi and his brother Pradip, and four police officials Gyanwant Singh, Ajay Kumar, Sukanta Chakraborty and Krishnendu Das.