River Plate returns to Argentina’s first divisionJune 24th, 2012 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, June 24 (IANS) South American football giant River Plate returned to Argentina’s first division with a 2-0 victory over Almirante Brown.
Two second half goals from former French international David Trezeguet were enough to seal the second division title at River’s Monumental de Nunez Stadium in Buenos Aires Saturday, reported Xinhua.
It comes a year after the club was relegated for the first time in its 110 year history.
“We suffered until today’s match but we have put River Plate back to the place where they belong,” coach Matias Almeyda said.
River Plate is Argentina’s most successful club with 33 championships. The team’s rivalry with fellow Buenos Aires outfit Boca Juniors is considered among the fiercest in international sport.
- Former French international Trezeguet to join River Plate - Dec 17, 2011
- Ronaldo pleaded with me to join Corinthians: Riquelme - Jun 27, 2012
- Soccer fan stabbed to death in Argentina - Jun 12, 2012
- Basile is Club de Avellaneda boss for 4th time - Dec 27, 2011
- Five soccer fans sentenced to life for murder - Sep 09, 2011
- Boca defender to play in Libertadores - Jul 01, 2012
- Football fidelity: An Indian diplomat's dilemma (Special) - Jun 09, 2010
- Corinthians coach ecstatic reaching Libertadores final - Jun 26, 2012
- Boca Juniors hint at signing Maradona as coach - Jul 16, 2012
- Boca beat Universidad in Copa Libertadores semis - Jun 15, 2012
- Fluminense to be without former Lyon striker Fred - Apr 17, 2012
- Scores injured after soccer match - Mar 12, 2012
- Boca in bid to convince Riquelme to stay - Jul 06, 2012
- Last survivor of 1930 FIFA World Cup dies - Aug 31, 2010
- Boca goalkeeper provokes Corinthians before Copa final - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: almeyda, almirante brown, argentina, boca juniors, buenos aires, david trezeguet, fellow, french international, giant river, international sport, june 24, match, rivalry, river plate, south american football, successful club, victory, xinhua