Rivals implicated me in 1984 riots case: Sajjan KumarAugust 14th, 2012 - 12:54 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 13 (IANS) Congress leader Sajjan Kumar Monday blamed his political opponents for implicating in a case related to 1984 anti-Sikh riots. He was advancing his final argument in a Delhi court.
Sajjan Kumar’s counsel I.U. Khan told District Judge J.R. Aryan that his rivals constituted the G.T. Nanavati Commission to probe the riots cases for framing him.
“Political opponents of Sajjan Kumar got an opportunity to frame him in a false case by appointing the G.T. Nanavati Commission,” said the Congress accused’s counsel.
The court was hearing a case against the Congress leader and five others accused of inciting mobs against the Sikh community during the riots.
The case against Sajjan Kumar was lodged on the recommendations of the Nanavati Commission. In January 2010, the Central Bureau of India filed two chargesheets against him and others.
Sajjan Kumar is accused of instigating a mob to attack and kill Sikhs after the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi Oct 31, 1984.
Sajjan Kumar and five others were booked under sections 302 (murder), 395 (dacoity), 427 (mischief to cause damage to property), 153-A (promoting enmity between different communities) and other provisions of the Indian Penal Code.
- Named in riots case after 16 years: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- Only three witnesses deposed against me: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 22, 2012
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- Sajjan claims right to confront witness with proof - May 23, 2012
- Court reserves order on Sajjan's plea - May 26, 2012
- Sajjan Kumar accuses CBI of playing fraud - May 19, 2012
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar's plea dismissed - Jun 02, 2012
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- 1984 riots: Court rejects Sajjan Kumar's plea (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- High court adjourns hearing on Sajjan Kumar's plea - Sep 16, 2010
- Court seeks CBI's reply on Sajjan Kumar's plea - May 15, 2012
- 1984 riots case against Sajjan: Final arguments from March 16 - Feb 13, 2012
- No relief to Sajjan Kumar from high court (Lead) - Aug 20, 2010
- Apex court stays anti-Sikh riots case against Sajjan - Aug 13, 2010
- 1984 riots: No stay on Sajjan Kumar's trial - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: anti sikh riots, aryan, chargesheets, congress leader, delhi court, district judge, enmity, false case, indian penal code, indira gandhi, mischief, mobs, nanavati commission, New Delhi, oct 31, political opponents, prime minister indira, sajjan kumar, sikh community, sikhs