Rita Bahuguna Joshi offers to resign over UP results (Lead)March 9th, 2012 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 9 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh Congress chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi Friday met Congress president Sonia Gandhi and offered to step down following the party’s poor performance in the state elections.
“I have offered to resign,” Joshi, who owned moral responsibility for the defeat, told mediapersons after the meeting.
Joshi said she had briefed the party president on the results and given her views on the party’s debacle.
“There is need for appropriate introspection. There are many reasons… which factor was prominent has to be analysed,” she said.
Responding to a query, she said party leader and Sultanpur MP Sanjay Singh’s comment that he was not asked to campaign was “regrettable”. Sanjay Singh’s wife Amita Singh also lost her election in Amethi, the party’s stronghold and the parliamentary constituency of Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi.
Asked if Sonia Gandhi had accepted her offer of resignation, Joshi said a decision would be taken in due course of time.
Congress sources said Sonia Gandhi had conveyed that while there would be introspection on the results, party leaders in the state should focus on future challenges.
The Congress won 28 of 403 seats in the Uttar Pradesh assembly, which was just six more than its tally in the 2007 elections.
Rahul Gandhi, who led the campaign, has already accepted responsibility for the party’s poor showing though efforts were made by party leaders to insulate him from the results.
The results came as a big disappointment for the party as it fared poorly even in Gandhi family pocket-boroughs of Amethi and Rae Bareli. The party won only two of ten seats in the two parliamentary constituencies. Rae Bareli is represented by party chief Sonia Gandhi.
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi meets Sonia, offers to quit - Mar 09, 2012
- Gandhi charisma fading? Congress humbled in Rae Bareli, Amethi - Mar 06, 2012
- All eyes on Lucknow in fourth phase of UP polls - Feb 18, 2012
- Rahul in Amethi to 're-motivate' Congress workers - Apr 30, 2012
- Congress trailing in Rae Bareli - Mar 06, 2012
- Priyanka returns to campaign in Amethi - Jan 16, 2012
- Priyanka returns to campaign in Amethi (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Priyanka open to campaigning, 'anything to help' Rahul - Jan 17, 2012
- Sonia blames party weakness for debacle (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Should I join politics, Priyanka asks rival parties - Feb 05, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, slam Mayawati (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Congress releases first list for Uttar Pradesh polls - Aug 22, 2011
- Vote for change, Priyanka Gandhi urges UP voters - Feb 03, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- 57 percent turnout estimated in UP poll's fourth phase (Evening Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: amita, congress chief, congress president sonia gandhi, introspection, joshi, moral responsibility, parliamentary constituencies, parliamentary constituency, party chief, party leader, party leaders, party president, pocket boroughs, poor performance, rae bareli, rahul gandhi, sanjay singh, state elections, sultanpur, time congress