Rights panel seeks report on Kashmir civilian’s killingAugust 10th, 2011 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued notices to the Jammu and Kashmir government and the centre over the killing of a civilian in an alleged staged shootout.
Ashok Kumar was shot dead by a Special Police Officer (SPO) and an army personnel showing him as a terrorist named Abu Usman Aug 7 in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir.
Kumar was said to be a mentally challenged person.
In a statement Wednesday, the commission said: “On consideration of complaints, notices have been issued to the Director General of Police, Jammu and Kashmir, District Magistrate and Superintendent of Police, Poonch, and the secretary, ministry of defence, and directed them to take appropriate action with regard to the investigation of the case as per guidelines laid down by the commission”.
It has also sought the magisterial enquiry report, post-mortem examination report along with report of independent investigation within eight weeks.
“The commission has also asked the Superintendent of Police, Poonch, to explain as to why the intimation regarding the death in police action was not reported to it within 48 hours as per the NHRC revised guidelines,” it added.
- Notice to Uttar Pradesh government on medical officer's death - Jun 24, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Tamil Nadu police on killings - Feb 24, 2012
- NHRC seeks report on fake encounter in Manipur - Aug 30, 2012
- NHRC pulls up Haryana Police over gunfight deaths - Mar 29, 2011
- NHRC takes up Kashmir custodial death case - Aug 04, 2011
- Kashmir civilian killing: Two security men booked for murder (Third Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Bihar ordered to pay Rs.3 lakh to undertrial's kin - Dec 14, 2011
- Civilian killing: Murder case against two Kashmir security personnel - Aug 08, 2011
- Kashmir militant killed in 12-hour battle was civilian (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Two families claim kinship to slain mentally deranged youth - Aug 13, 2011
- Slain Lashkar 'terrorist' a civilian: Sources - Aug 08, 2011
- 'Slain Lashkar terrorist a civilian' (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- 16 killed in Kashmir road accident - Aug 20, 2011
- Notice to Uttar Pradesh over 90 missing children - Jul 13, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh asked to respond to silicosis death report - Feb 22, 2012
Tags: army personnel, ashok kumar, director general, district magistrate, human rights commission, independent investigation, intimation, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, kashmir, ministry of defence, mortem examination, national human rights commission, New Delhi, nhrc, police action, post mortem, special police officer, spo, usman