Rights panel seeks report on doctor’s murder in Bihar jailJune 4th, 2011 - 12:51 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 4 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has sought a report from the Bihar government over the brutal murder of a doctor by jail inmates last week and steps being taken for the safety of doctors on duty in prison, officials said Saturday.
Buddhadev Singh was beaten to death May 29 in Gopalganj district jail when he went inside a ward to conduct a medical check-up of a prisoner.
According to police, the prisoners wanted the doctor to issue them fake medical certificates which could have prevented their shifting to the central jail at Buxar. When Singh refused, he was lynched.
According to officials in the Bihar home department, the rights council has issued a notice to the state chief secretary to submit a report within two weeks on the shocking incident.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar last Tuesday admitted that administrative lapses led to the lynching of the doctor. He also blamed the jail officials, and removed Gopalganj district magistrate and inspector general of prison after the incident.
The chief minister announced a compensation of Rs.10 lakh to the family of the deceased.
All the government doctors in Bihar observed a day-long strike Tuesday to protest the incident.
Police in Gopalganj said that two of the main accused in the lynching incident were taken on police remand for two days Friday.
- Bihar government orders CBI probe into doctor's lynching - Jun 06, 2011
- Administrative lapses led to doctor's lynching: Nitish - May 31, 2011
- Bihar doctors go on a day's strike to protest lynching - May 31, 2011
- Seven prisoners booked for lynching doctor in Bihar (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Family of slain Bihar doctor rejects compensation - Jun 12, 2011
- Seven prisoners booked for lynching doctor in Bihar - May 30, 2011
- Delhi told to pay damages for Tihar inmate's suicide - Feb 06, 2012
- Bihar to have its first 'open jail' - Mar 05, 2012
- Punjab jail riot leaves one dead - Nov 21, 2011
- Court notice to Delhi government, Tihar jail over custodial death - May 23, 2012
- Bihar ordered to pay Rs.3 lakh to undertrial's kin - Dec 14, 2011
- Stones thrown at Nitish Kumar's convoy - Jan 22, 2012
- Top Maoists seek NHRC clearance to donate bodies - Oct 07, 2011
- Arrested for murder, Bihar girl raped in custody - Aug 24, 2011
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: bihar government, brutal murder, central jail, chief minister, chief secretary, district jail, district magistrate, doctors on duty, government doctors, human rights commission, jail inmates, jail officials, lakh, medical certificates, medical check, national human rights commission, nhrc, police remand, prison officials, shocking incident