Rights panel pulls up Uttar Pradesh copsMarch 15th, 2011 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 15 (IANS) Taking note of media reports of police assault on Samajwadi Party activists in Uttar Pradesh last week, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Tuesday asked the state police chief for explanation and a report within four weeks.
“The commission has taken suo motu cognisance of media reports alleging that a number of political activists of the Samajwadi Party were severely beaten up by the police in the presence of senior officers on March 9, 2011, during an agitation in Lucknow,” the statement said.
The reports also alleged that a deputy inspector general of police trampled on one of the Samajwadi Party activists, while others were being beaten up with batons, causing them serious injuries.
“The commission today observed in its proceedings that the contents of media reports, if true, raise serious issues of violation of human rights of the political activists. A notice has been issued along with the press clippings to the Director General of Police, Uttar Pradesh, calling for a report in the matter within four weeks,” it said.
- Rights panel to probe girl's murder in police station - Jun 12, 2011
- Notice to Bihar government on child rights violations - Sep 05, 2011
- NHRC takes up lynching of truck driver near Agra - Sep 21, 2011
- Notice to Uttar Pradesh Police for dereliction of duty - Apr 28, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to UP government - Jul 25, 2012
- NHRC notice to Haryana on abandoned baby girls - Jul 11, 2012
- Sewer worker's death: Rights panel probes civic agencies - Aug 11, 2011
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- Delhi hospital gets notice over radioactive waste - Aug 04, 2011
- Uphold dignity of women, Delhi Police told - Mar 16, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Orissa - Jul 27, 2011
- NHRC pulls up Haryana Police over gunfight deaths - Mar 29, 2011
- Railway board issued notice for human rights violation - Jan 12, 2011
- Notice to Chandigarh official after pregnant woman denied treatment - Aug 13, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh government issued notice for trials on Bhopal victims - Aug 09, 2011
Tags: agitation, batons, cognisance, cops, deputy inspector, human rights commission, national human rights, national human rights commission, New Delhi, nhrc, party activists, police assault, police chief, political activists, presence, press clippings, proceedings, state police, violation of human rights