Rights panel issues notice to police over engineer’s deathDecember 26th, 2008 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 26 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Friday issued notice to the Uttar Pradesh director general of police and the state chief secretary, seeking their reply in the case of an engineer killing allegedly by a Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) legislator. Taking note of the killing on its own, the human rights commission has asked state police chief Vikram Singh and Chief Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh to explain themselves within two weeks on the murder of Public Works Department (PWD) engineer M.K. Gupta early Wednesday morning.
Gupta was allegedly lynched by BSP legislator Shekhar Tiwari and his henchmen after he refused to contribute Rs.5 million (Rs.50 lakh) “donation” for Chief Minister Mayawati’s birthday bash next month.
The slain engineer’s family and the Samajwadi Party have asked for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the murder.
The autopsy report of Gupta said he was brutally tortured and was given electric shocks.
Tiwari was arrested Wednesday evening for lynching the engineer, but the state administration has maintained that the incident has no connection with Mayawati.
- BSP MLA gets life for engineer's killing (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh girl was raped by legislator, his guards - Jan 11, 2011
- Mayawati orders BSP legislator's arrest in minor's rape (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Expected death sentence for killers: Slain engineer's mother - May 06, 2011
- Life term for BSP legislator in engineer's murder (Second Lead) - May 06, 2011
- BSP leader manipulating engineer's murder case, says witness - Oct 14, 2009
- Mayawati orders BSP legislator's arrest in minor's gang rape - Jan 12, 2011
- Slain engineer's son declines Mayawati's compensation - Dec 26, 2008
- 32 torture marks on body of murdered Uttar Pradesh engineer - Dec 25, 2008
- Slain engineer's family spurns compensation, BSP MLA booked (Roundup) - Dec 26, 2008
- Rahul Gandhi assures help to slain engineer's family - Dec 25, 2008
- Engineer's lynching: accused legislator's remand extended - Jan 03, 2009
- BSP leader surrenders, driver arrested for enguineer's lynching(Lead) - Jan 06, 2009
- Murder accused former BSP functionary surrenders in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 06, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh engineers' association suspends strike - Dec 26, 2008