Rights panel asks Bihar to pay damages to torture victimApril 18th, 2008 - 6:39 pm ICT by admin
Patna, April 18 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has directed the Bihar government to pay compensation of Rs.25,000 to an alleged chain-snatcher, who was thrashed and brutally tortured by the police in Bhagalpur district. Aurangzeb alias Saleem, in his early 20s, was thrashed and brutally tortured by the police August 27 last year.
A TV footage showed a cop dragging him, hands and legs bound, through the street tied to a motorcycle, triggering national outrage. He was then hospitalized in a critical condition and later recovered.
Official sources in the state government Friday said that the NHRC asked the state government to soon pay monetary compensation of Rs.25,000 to Aurangzeb.
A NHRC team probed into the torture by the state police.
Taking suo motu cognisance, the NHRC issued notice to the Bihar home department to produce a report on the incident. The commission viewed the incident as a serious violation of human rights by policemen.
Aurangzeb, a poor rickshaw puller, lodged criminal case against two policemen, Ramchandra Rai and L.B. Singh, who were involved in his torture.
- NHRC notice to Haryana on abandoned baby girls - Jul 11, 2012
- Notice to Bihar government on child rights violations - Sep 05, 2011
- Railway board issued notice for human rights violation - Jan 12, 2011
- Toongate professor awarded compensation - Aug 13, 2012
- Sewer worker's death: Rights panel probes civic agencies - Aug 11, 2011
- Compensate woman mistreated by police, NHRC tells Delhi - Mar 22, 2012
- Rights panel to probe girl's murder in police station - Jun 12, 2011
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- NCW team visits violence-hit Greater Noida village - May 12, 2011
- Kashmir government asked to compensate rickshaw-puller's kin - Jan 13, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to UP over cop thrashing vendor - Aug 29, 2012
- Delhi hospital gets notice over radioactive waste - Aug 04, 2011
- Notice to Uttar Pradesh Police for dereliction of duty - Apr 28, 2011
- Rights panel pulls up Uttar Pradesh cops - Mar 15, 2011
- NHRC pulls up Haryana Police over gunfight deaths - Mar 29, 2011