Rights body takes up case of sexually abused school girlFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) Two years after she was allegedly sexually abused by her headmaster in school, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has taken up the case of a class 8 student in Haryana by ordering an enquiry and recommending compensation to the victim.The commission received a complaint by Sube Singh, the victim’s grandfather, alleging that three days after the incident happened, the police lodged an FIR Feb 14 2007 against the headmaster of the school, Samay Singh, for sexually abusing the victim.
However, Sube Singh alleged, that the FIR was not registered under the appropriate sections of the law because of which no action was taken against the culprit.
“Taking this into consideration, the commission has directed the director general of investigations, NHRC, for an on the spot enquiry and has asked for a report within two weeks,” an NHRC official said.
The commission also recommended a sum of Rs.100,000 to be paid as interim compensation to the victim. It asked the chief secretary of Haryana to submit a compliance report and proof of payment of the same which the commission received Jan 19 this year.
- Haryana sits on NHRC reminder - Aug 23, 2012
- Compensate woman mistreated by police, NHRC tells Delhi - Mar 22, 2012
- Delhi corporal punishment victim to be compensated - Mar 21, 2012
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- Pay Rs.5 lakh each to fake shoot-out victims' kin: NHRC - Mar 22, 2010
- Compensate teacher for delayed retirement benefits: Rights panel - Jul 27, 2010
- Rs.5 lakh for kin of Uttar Pradesh custody death victim - Nov 30, 2011
- NHRC summons Kerala's chief secretary - Apr 30, 2012
- Government school headmaster beaten to death in Bihar - May 21, 2012
- Home ministry asked to compensate kin of BSF torture victim - Jan 08, 2010
- MCD asked to explain boy's death - Mar 24, 2011
- NHRC pulls up Assam over witch hunting, custodial deaths - May 28, 2012
- Maharashtra rapped for failure to protect migrants - Mar 18, 2010
- Kashmir government asked to compensate rickshaw-puller's kin - Jan 13, 2011
- Kerala partly complies with NHRC order on endosulphan victims - Jun 11, 2012