Rights body seeks report on Puri festival stampedeJuly 11th, 2008 - 2:33 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 11 (IANS) The Orissa Human Right Commission has sought a report from the state government on the stampede during the annual Ratha Yatra (Chariot festival) at Puri in which six people were killed and ten others injured, a commission official said Friday. The division bench of the commission, comprising chairman justice R.K.Patra, and members Sudhansu Mohan Patnaik and Himadri Mohapatra, has asked state home secretary T.K.Mishra to submit a report on the incident within the next four weeks, the commission official told IANS.
The stampede occurred when devotees tried to get close to one of the three chariots, which was being taken across the temple city, about 65 km from state capital Bhubaneswar on July 4.
The commission sought the details after coming across reports appearing in various newspapers after the incident, the official said.
- Sea of pilgrims at Puri for annual chariot festival - Jul 03, 2011
- Lakhs witness Rath Yatra in Puri (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Orissa town celebrates return festival of deities - Jul 11, 2011
- Devotees converge on Puri for Jagannath festival - Jun 29, 2012
- Lakhs converge on Puri for Rath Yatra - Jun 21, 2012
- Woman dies in stampede during Jagannath Rath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Puri Rath Yatra chariots reach destination - Jun 22, 2012
- Puri Ratha Yatra preparations gain momentum in Odisha - Jun 11, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik to meet BJD leaders Friday (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- 62 special trains for Puri Rath Yatra - Jun 20, 2012
- Lakhs witness deities' bathing ritual in Puri - Jun 15, 2011
- A tribal should occupy Raisina Hill: Naveen Patnaik - Jun 21, 2012
- Thousands pull chariots in Kolkata rath yatra - Jul 13, 2010
- Security beefed up ahead of Puri chariot festival - Jun 20, 2012
- Security up in Puri ahead of Rath Yatra - Jul 12, 2010