Rights activist Binayak Sen convicted, arrested (Lead)December 24th, 2010 - 3:39 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Dec 24 (IANS) Rights activist Binayak Sen, accused of links with Maoists, was Friday convicted for sedition and conspiracy by a Chhattisgarh court and arrested soon after, leaving his family and fellow activists shaken and disappointed.District and Sessions Court judge B.P. Varma found Sen guilty on a variety of counts such as under 124 A and 120 B of the Indian Penal Code and also under the Chhattisgarh Special Public Security Act. Sen, a medical doctor, had been out on bail since last year.
“I lost my voice, please leave me,” his distraught brother Dipankar Sen, in tears, told mediapersons at the court complex.
Kavita Srivastava, the People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) national general secretary, reacted angrily.
“This is a fabricated case by the Chattisgarh government and police. It is hard to believe the judgment. We will go for appeal,” she said.
Said Rajendra K. Sail, former PUCL president: “It is injustice, totally disappointing. There was no evidence against Sen. We will appeal.”
Sen was arrested in 2007 from Bilaspur for alleged links with Maoist ideologue Narayan Sanyal but was released in May 2009 at the behest of the Supreme Court.
The case against continued even as Maoist guerrillas stepped up attacks on security forces in Chhattisgarh, killing scores of them.
- Binayak Sen convicted; family, activists furious (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Binayak Sen, two others get life term; family, activists furious (Third Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Binayak Sen gets life, angry activists vow appeal (Roundup) - Dec 24, 2010
- Rights activist Binayak Sen convicted - Dec 24, 2010
- Court rejects Binayak Sen's bail, activists shocked (Night Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Binayak Sen moves high court against life term - Jan 06, 2011
- Binayak Sen's conviction shocking, say activists - Dec 24, 2010
- Sen's wife, friends shaken by rejection of bail plea - Feb 10, 2011
- Binayak Sen plans campaign against sedition law - Sep 12, 2011
- Binayak Sen's bail plea rejected - Feb 10, 2011
- Rally in Chhattisgarh supports Binayak Sen - Jan 31, 2011
- Court rejects Binayak Sen's bail plea, activists shocked (Fourth Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Court rejects Binayak Sen bail plea, activists disappointed (Third Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Chhattisgarh high court dismisses Binayak Sen's bail plea (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Feb 10, 2011
- Sad day for Indian democracy: Sen's wife - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: behest, bilaspur, civil liberties, court judge, dec 24, fellow activists, general secretary, indian penal code, kavita srivastava, maoist, maoist guerrillas, maoists, medical doctor, public security, rajendra, s union, security act, security forces, sedition, sessions court