Right to information: over 200,000 applications receivedMarch 20th, 2008 - 7:07 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) Over 200,000 Right to Information (RTI) applications were received by various central government agencies between October 2005 and March 2007, the Rajya Sabha was informed Thursday. In a written reply, Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions Suresh Pachouri said: “As per the information furnished by the Central Information Commission, 207,860 applications were received under the RTI Act by various public authorities of the central government during October 2005 to March 2007.”
His reply was to a query by senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj, who wanted to know about the RTI applications received so far, and the state-wise break-up of applicants who were given information by the agencies concerned.
The minister, however, said the state-wise information was not maintained centrally.
The RTI activists feel that there is a need for proactive measures to create awareness among people about the RTI and its utility.
“The people are making effective use of the RTI Act, particularly in the urban areas. In the rural areas, the people still do not know much about its utility. There is a pressing need to make them aware of the RTI and how to use it to their advantage,” said Manish Shisodia, an RTI activist.
The RTI Act, enacted and notified in June 2005, aims to empower people by giving them the right to access information regarding government projects, programmes, schemes and anything else in the public domain.
- PMO sees 8,400 percent rise in RTI pleas - May 15, 2011
- Delhi transit system comes under RTI Act: High court - Jul 08, 2012
- RTI, the common man's tool to get things done - Oct 11, 2010
- RTI yet to reach Orissa's tribals, Dalits - Nov 11, 2010
- Officials fined Rs.44 lakh for denying information under RTI - Aug 11, 2011
- Government has no data on Swiss bank money: RTI activist told - Sep 16, 2010
- More citizens should use RTI, urges activist - Apr 16, 2011
- Can't give details of illegal assets cases: CBI - Jun 19, 2011
- UP tops in ill treatment of prisoners - May 08, 2012
- Four IRS officers' resignations pending: RTI - Oct 30, 2011
- Court notice to government on CBI exemption from RTI - Jul 06, 2011
- Activists demand public audit for all government expenditure - Mar 12, 2011
- Activists flay Maharashtra's new stringent RTI rules - Apr 24, 2012
- Probe bribe-giving case against officials: Court - Sep 03, 2012
- Goa governor gets X-mas gift - copy of RTI Act - Dec 25, 2010