Right to education to extend to secondary schoolsAugust 12th, 2011 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 12 (IANS) After bringing primary education up to Class 8 under the Right to Education Act, the centre is now contemplating making secondary education a matter of right too, the Rajya Sabha was informed Friday.
Answering a question, Minister of State for Human Resource Development D. Purandeswari said that after inclusion of primary education under right to education and the success of the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyaan, universalising secondary education was now the focus.
The minister said that more students needed secondary education, hence making it a matter of right was imperative.
“There are no two thoughts that we should universalise secondary education. After the success of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyaan, demand for secondary education is also at a peak,” the minister said. “Our intention is to make sure all get education.”
The minister also said that 6,000 model schools were being built across the country, focusing on 3,700 educationally-backward blocks.
In reply to another question, the minister informed the upper house that the government was focusing on giving at least one central university to every state.
- Nearly five lakh classrooms needed: Minister - Sep 03, 2011
- Government will universalise secondary education: Patil - Feb 21, 2011
- Government committed to overhaul education infrastructure: Patil (Lead) - Feb 22, 2010
- Over 19 lakh teachers' posts created in literacy programme - Nov 25, 2011
- Adult education programme can benefit from literacy drive - Nov 29, 2010
- Education gets 24 percent hike (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Education gets 24 percent hike in budget allocation - Feb 28, 2011
- Over 21 percent hike in RTE funds - Mar 16, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi expresses concern over high school dropout rate among children - Feb 04, 2011
- Canon India announces strategic e-governance initiative for Rajasthan - Aug 19, 2010
- World Bank offers $500 million loan for education in India - Mar 23, 2012
- Enrolment of girls at primary level growing: Economic Survey - Mar 15, 2012
- Over 17 percent hike in education budget (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- India raises education, health spending (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- 'Education should be inclusive' - Jan 05, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,