Rift deepens, more might leave Anna core groupOctober 19th, 2011 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 19 (IANS) Two resignations and one more in the offing? The core group behind India Against Corruption (IAC) led by Anna Hazare is likely to be whittled down further with Delhi Archbishop Vincent M. Concessao distancing himself from the movement, sources said Wednesday.
On Tuesday, Magsaysay Award winner Rajendra Singh and Gandhian activist P.V. Rajagopal quit the original 26-member panel citing the political activism of Arvind Kejriwal and other leaders of IAC after the campaign against the Congress in the Hisar parliamentary by-poll. Others might follow soon, it is learnt.
The archbishop, who heads the Catholic diocese here, had joined IAC to oppose corruption, a leader in the community told IANS on the condition of anonymity. “As he is the leader of a community that has its members in various parties, he may not join the propaganda for or against any political party.”
The archbishop is amongst the 24 core committee members left in the IAC. He is also one of the 20 founding leaders of the IAC.
Other leaders such as Maulana Shamoom Qasmi, who is both a founding leader and a core committee member, also have reservations about the way the movement is going. Muslim religious leaders Mahmood Madani, Syed Rizvi and Syed Shah Fazlur Rahman Waizi, founding committee members, also might part ways, the sources said.
“Some of them may resign, some of them may distance themselves,” a source said, adding that they had a good equation with Hazare but had differences with Kejriwal, Kiran Bedi and others.
Hazare may intervene to stop the exodus.
The founding leaders’ list includes social activist Swami Agnivesh, who dissociated himself a while ago. The 20 “eminent personalities” who started the movement lists two more Hindu religious leaders - Baba Ramdev and Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.
After the resignation of Rajendra Singh and Rajagopal, the core committee has been left with 24 members. Justice N. Santhosh Hegde, a key member, has of late not been attending meetings, an IAC official said.
Besides Bedi and Kejriwal, the other high profile faces are former law minister Shanti Bhushan, his son and lawyer Prashant Bhushan and environmentalist Medha Patkar.
Manish Sisodia, a former news producer and co-founder of the NGO Kabir that works on creating awareness on the Right to Information (RTI), is another known face.
Those leading the IAC in various states are included too. Mayank Gandhi, for instance, heads the Mumbai team, Chandramohan is from Chennai.
The other activists are Sanjay Singh from Uttar Pradesh, Dinesh Vaghela from Goa, Prithvi Reddy from Bangalore, Manipur-based Akhil Gogoi, Delhi’s Swati Maliwal, Haryana’s Naveen Jaihind as well as Gopal Rai and former journalist Devinder Sharma.
Asmita theatre group founder Arvind Gaur, poet Kumar Vishwas, Arjuna Award member Sunita Godara are also members as is Art of Living representative Darshak Hathi.
According to its website, the primary focus of IAC movement is to ensure a strong Lokpal bill.
- List of IAC core committee - Oct 19, 2011
- Anna movement cannot open bank account: Kejriwal - Oct 28, 2011
- Whither Team Anna? (News Analysis) - Oct 30, 2011
- Kejriwal siphoned funds for private trust: Agnivesh - Oct 22, 2011
- IAC meets Saturday as demand for new core group crops up - Oct 28, 2011
- Two Team Anna members quit, Bedi denies cracks (Roundup) - Oct 18, 2011
- Government trying to scuttle our movement: Bedi - Oct 29, 2011
- Govt. will engage with civil society in addressing concerns over corruption: PM - Mar 08, 2011
- Don't understand why Team Anna members quit: Medha Patkar - Oct 18, 2011
- It was for the cause: Bedi on inflated reimbursements - Oct 20, 2011
- Team Anna meets in Delhi to decide future strategy - Sep 19, 2012
- Anna Hazare group meets in Delhi to decide future strategy (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- 'We are united', reiterates Team Anna; visits Hazare (Lead) - Oct 30, 2011
- Bedi rubbishes allegations against Kejriwal - Oct 18, 2011
- Agitation should have targeted PM, says Bedi as rift rumours deepen (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: arvind kejriwal, core committee, eminent personalities, fazlur rahman, founding committee, gandhian, hisar, kiran bedi, magsaysay award, muslim religious leaders, political activism, rajagopal, ramdev, ravi shankar, santhosh, sri ravi shankar, sri sri ravi, sri sri ravi shankar, syed rizvi, syed shah