Ricky needs to put India debacle behind: WaughNovember 21st, 2008 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Nov 21(IANS) Former Australia captain Steve Waugh has advised Ricky Ponting not to get distracted by the recent criticism of his captaincy in India and asked him to focus on the ongoing series against the touring New Zealand team.Australian batsmen were troubled by New Zealand in the ongoing first Test at Gabba. Waugh said the Aussies have struggled to make adjustments on a pacy track after after playing on slow, low wickets in India.
“Ricky needs to move on and let it go, even though it’s probably eating away at him. He now needs to draw a line through the Nagpur Test and get the spring back in his step,” Waugh wrote in his column in Daily Telegraph.
“If he continues to defend his actions, his mind will be distracted and his team vulnerable to attack from sides now sensing a fragility not seen since the mid-1980s.”
Waugh was appreciative of the New Zealand performance and felt that despite their player exodus to the Indian Cricket League, they have been able to put up a good show against the baggy greens.
Australia were dismissed for 214 in their first innings and have been reduced to 131 for six in their second at Gabba.
“Too many dismissals (Australian) were to expansive drives, suggesting muddled thinking and lack of application - or perhaps a packed schedule that didn’t allow enough time for players to adjust to varying conditions or fully overcome jetlag.
“Somehow the Kiwis invariably manage to compete against Australia, even after an exodus to the rebel Twenty20 league and injuries to key players, ” he said.
- Australia name unchanged side for second Test - Dec 08, 2011
- Mark Waugh says Ponting will have win Ashes to keep Oz skipper's job - Nov 11, 2010
- Atherton's ridicule of baggy greens leaves Australians simmering - Jan 04, 2011
- Steve Rixon appointed Australia's fielding coach - Jun 28, 2011
- Batting camp must address mental preparation: Mark Waugh - Dec 18, 2011
- Experts in favour of Khwaja and Harris in Oz Ashes squad - Oct 17, 2010
- Warne calls for fresh legs in Australian team - Dec 13, 2011
- Ryder smashes record 16 sixes against Australia A - Nov 27, 2011
- Ponting is elephant in the room, says Cairns - Nov 30, 2011
- Australia recall Hilfenhaus, Cowan set for Test debut against India - Dec 21, 2011
- Calls for Ponting's retirement grow stronger - Nov 20, 2011
- Hussey backs Hughes to put lean phase behind - Dec 06, 2011
- Steve Waugh immortalized in bronze at SCG - Jan 05, 2011
- English media lambast Ponting - Dec 28, 2010
- Harris could be a huge Ashes asset, says Steve Waugh - Nov 09, 2010