Ricky Martin performs in MiamiApril 11th, 2011 - 11:28 am ICT by IANS
Miami, April 11 (IANS/EFE) Puerto Rican singer Ricky Martin held a concert in Miami as part of his “Musica + Alma + Sexo” (MAS) tour, after beginning the first US leg of it earlier this weekend in Orlando.
Saturday night’s concert at the American Airlines Arena began with the energy and technical expertise that has characterised Martin’s stage appearances, and he sported a new “look” with his hair shaved on the sides but a lighter-coloured-than-usual mop on top.
With a wardrobe designed by Giorgio Armani, the artist put his charisma and excellent physical appearance on display accompanied by a group of dancers who performed a number of risky and well-executed moves and routines.
The 39-year-old Martin greeted the Miami crowd, among whom were Gloria and Emilio Estefan, former baseball star Sammy Sosa and Hispanic television personalities including Charytin Goyco and Maria Elena Salinas, in English and Spanish and then performed “Vuelve”, one of his biggest hits.
Both the set, with metallic structures and uneven levels, as well as the costumes - all black and white - were modern in tone and displayed an aggressive edginess.
The crowd accompanied Martin in singing his well-known hits “Maria”, “She bangs”, “Livin’ la vida loca”, “Loaded” and “Basta ya” and they responded with cheers and shouts when he asked them if they were doing OK “in Spanglish”, the language mix he said he communicates in on a daily basis.
The concert, which was interspersed with videos in which Martin appeared in chains and then freed himself from them, picking up on his recurring recent theme that he feels he must tell the world what he can no longer keep silent about.
The performance continued with a mix of other hits, including “El amor de mi vida”, “Fuego contra fuego” and “Te extrano, te olvido, te amo”, and also included the typical music of his native island.
Martin wrapped up the concert with “Mas”, “Lola, Lola”, “La bomba”, “Pegate”, “La copa de la vida” and “Lo mejor de mi vida”.
The Puerto Rican performer, who recently marked one full year since he declared himself to be openly gay, has been touting internationally his message of liberation and has discussed this issue in detail in his book “Yo” (”Me” in English).
In this autobiography, the artist speaks about his life experience since early childhood, his participation in the well-known group Menudo, his first loves, his becoming a father and his revelation about his homosexuality, as well as his creation of a foundation bearing his name to fight against child exploitation.
Ricky Martin will continue his tour in Canada then will return to the US where he will perform in several cities, thereafter heading on to Latin America, Europe and Asia.
- Ricky Martin performs in Paraguay - Sep 11, 2011
- Ricky Martin fans to celebrate his 40th birthday - Dec 24, 2011
- Happy to be alive after cancer treatment: Puerto Rican singer - Jun 21, 2011
- Ricky Martin sells Miami Beach mansion for $10.6 mn - Apr 25, 2012
- Three films starring Shalim Ortiz to debut in 2011 - Jun 03, 2011
- `Macho' Camacho to have show on YouTube channel - Sep 19, 2012
- Ricky Martin's new album doing well - Feb 10, 2011
- Cuban singer announces dates for US tour - Jun 21, 2011
- Puerto Rican duo release their first single - Jul 20, 2011
- Ricky Martin to promote Puerto Rico tourism on world tour - Mar 15, 2011
- Romeo Santos remains atop Billboard Latin Songs - Jul 01, 2011
- Enrique Iglesias launches world tour in Puerto Rico - Jan 31, 2011
- Marc Anthony delights salsa fans in Ecuador - Jul 16, 2011
- Reggaeton duo film documentary in Cuba - Jan 31, 2012
- Puerto Rican musician Yomo Toro dies - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: american airlines, american airlines arena, baseball star, charytin goyco, daily basis, edginess, fuego contra fuego, giorgio armani, gloria and emilio estefan, hispanic television, language mix, lola lola, maria elena salinas, metallic structures, physical appearance, ricky martin, sammy sosa, stage appearances, television personalities, typical music