Richards lambasts WICB for its handling of Gayle issueDecember 16th, 2011 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS
St. John’s (Antigua), Dec 16 (IANS/CMC) Cricketing legend Vivian Richards has lambasted the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) for its inept handling of the dispute with former captain Chris Gayle.
He said he did not agree with everything Gayle did, but found it difficult to understand how the board could take such a hard line when the regional governing body has not lived up to its responsibilities as the guardian of the game.
“I would like to believe what the WICB is basically saying is Chris Gayle has to apologise for what he did so that he could be back in the West Indies side.I just think that’s a little far-fetched,” he told the Antigua Observer newspaper.
“Let me also take this opportunity to say that I am not in Chris Gayle’s corner (with) most decisions he makes, but I think that this whole issue is potent enough and I feel he needs some support.”
Gayle has not played for West Indies since the 2011 World Cup, after roundly criticising the WICB in an interview with a Jamaican radio station.
Gayle has remained sidelined after several meetings and the WICB has demanded an apology from the estranged opener, which he has refused.
Richards felt the WICB had no moral ground for it to make such a heavy demand on Gayle.
“It is ludicrous for the WICB to ask Gayle to apologise when they know that something was wrong and maybe these are some of the issues Gayle was trying to address,” said Richards.
“He may or may not apologise, that’s his call, but how can it ask so much from Chris when they have given so little?”
Richards said he could not advise Gayle what route he should take, but it was clear that he wanted to play for West Indies — and that he could make a difference to the fortunes of the side.
“I guess he clearly wants to be in the West Indies team,” he said.
Gayle is in Australia now, preparing for the Big Bash League Twenty20, where he will play for the Sydney Thunder.
- Jamaica wants mediator to resolve Gayle-WICB standoff - Nov 03, 2011
- Windies Board pleased with Gayle's commitment - May 11, 2012
- No Chris Gayle in West Indies squad for India - Nov 01, 2011
- West Indies Board insists Gayle must withdraw comments - Oct 20, 2011
- Gayle doesn't rule out playing in third Test - May 30, 2012
- WICB playing mind games, Gayle charges - Oct 26, 2011
- Gibson staying out of Gayle-WICB fracas - May 03, 2012
- Gayle brings quality to the side, says chief selector - Jun 06, 2012
- Finance professional named WICB Corporate Secretary - Mar 29, 2012
- Gayle impressed with Powell's century - Jul 31, 2012
- Chris Gayle recalled after high-level meeting - Jun 05, 2012
- Gayle resolves issue with WICB but uncertainty remains - Apr 06, 2012
- Gayle's return to Windies squad stalled - Mar 20, 2012
- Gayle selection not my call, says Sammy - May 23, 2012
- West Indies on right track: Head coach Gibson - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,