Richard Gere to work in Indian film?January 10th, 2012 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 10 (IANS) If the grapevine is to believed, Hollywood biggie Richard Gere may feature in “I Am Kalam” fame director Nila Madhab Panda’s next, an untitled project based on the issue of world food security.
Gere, a regular to India thanks to his Buddhist beliefs, was offered the role of a foreigner who visits India and gets involved with the socio-political set up of a village.
Panda, who enjoyed rave reviews for the critically acclaimed “I Am Kalam”, contacted Gere for the role through a common friend, said a statement.
According to a source, the 62-year-old veteran was impressed with the script and consented to do the film, which will also star Harsh Mayar, the National award-winning child protagonist of “I Am Kalam”.
To be produced by a company from the Netherlands, the film’s pre-production work is expected to begin this month, and Panda will shuttle between India, Amsterdam and Los Angeles for the shooting.
If all goes well, singer-actor Will Smith might also come on board, says the source.
- Nila Madhab's 'Jalpari' screened at Marche du Cannes - May 22, 2012
- 'Jalpari' to compete at Asia Pacific Screen Awards - Jun 11, 2012
- 'I Am Kalam' about dreaming big, making big! (IANS Preview) - Aug 03, 2011
- Gulshan Grover promotes 'I am Kalam' in New Delhi - Nov 13, 2010
- 'Jalpari' - a little gem, with message on female foeticide (IANS Movie Review) - Aug 31, 2012
- 'Jalpari' not a serious film: Nila Madhab Panda - Aug 23, 2012
- I Am Kalam To Be Screened In London Film Festival - Sep 20, 2010
- Watch out for mixed bag of movies this week (IANS Preview) - Jul 16, 2012
- Gulshan Grover to attend LA screenings of 'I Am Kalam' - Jun 17, 2011
- 'I Am Kalam' gives message without preaching (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ****) - Aug 04, 2011
- Spending crores on promotion doesn't guarantee success: Panda - Aug 31, 2012
- Box office offers mix bag this Friday (IANS preview) - Aug 29, 2012
- 'I Am Kalam' to open IFFLA 2011 - Mar 31, 2011
- Nila Madhab Panda supports 'green' films for kids - Jun 21, 2012
- Film to promote poor children's education at IFFI - Nov 24, 2010
Tags: amsterdam, biggie, buddhist beliefs, fame, film new, foreigner, grapevine, hollywood, indian film, madhab, netherlands, New Delhi, old veteran, panda, protagonist, richard gere, shuttle, untitled project, will smith, world food security