Revenue official mowed down in UPJuly 21st, 2012 - 12:33 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 20 (IANS) In a shocking incident, a lekhpal (revenue official) was mowed down by a jeep being driven by hoodlums in Hathras, 330 km from here, police said.
The official was on his way home on a bike with his nephew when five people in a jeep first hit his bike and when he fell down, ran over him.
Hathras Superintendent of Police (SP) Happy Guptan told IANS that a first information report (FIR) against the five persons has been lodged and a manhunt has been launched to arrest them. She said this incident took place late Thursday.
The lekhpal, Janak Singh, was mowed down by the jeep near the Nagla Brahman village under the Sadabad tehsil.
Family members and close associates of Janak Singh said block head Jaiveer Singh had for some time been very angry with him for not yielding to his demand of a piece of land. Angry relatives and friends of the lekhpal blocked traffic Friday.
The main work of a lekhpal is related to land records but now the lekhpal also has to do other work related to public welfare.
- Two lawyers killed in Uttar Pradesh clash - Sep 03, 2011
- Punjab politician climbs tree in protest, wants to meet Badal - Apr 16, 2011
- Punjab politician perches on tree, demands Badal come - Apr 16, 2011
- Punjab villager ends treetop protest, touches ground again - May 14, 2011
- Man still perched atop eucalyptus tree in Punjab (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Punjab politician climbs tree in protest, wants to meet Badal (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh clash: 35 officials arrested - Sep 04, 2011
- Pawar supporters protest across Maharashtra - Nov 24, 2011
- Lawyers in Uttar Pradesh boycott work - Sep 05, 2011
- Road accident sparks violence in Uttar Pradesh town - Sep 27, 2010
- Treetop protester is a proclaimed offender, say police - Apr 20, 2011
- Truck crushes three of family, mob attacks police - Aug 30, 2011
- Seven injured in cylinder blast - Mar 04, 2012
- Lucknow road rage: driver arrested - Mar 24, 2012
- Blueline bus mows down builder - Dec 09, 2011