Retail magnate gets kidney from executed murdererJanuary 10th, 2009 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, Jan 10 (DPA) An ailing retail magnate who was jailed for one day last year for attempting to buy a kidney has received the organ legally from an executed murderer, according to a news report here Saturday.Tang Wee Sung received a kidney from former organised crime boss Tan Chor Jin, who was hanged in a Singapore prison Friday morning for the 2006 killing of a nightclub owner, reported the Straits Times.
Tang, 56, was jailed for a day and fined 17,000 Singapore dollars ($11,400) in June last year for trying to buy a kidney from an Indonesian donor. The case prompted the government to amend the law to allow people who donate their kidneys to get monetary compensation from the recipient or a voluntary organization.
Though details of such transplants are not disclosed by hospitals, the newspaper quoted Tan’s mistress confirming that it was the executed triad gang leader’s wish to donate his organs.
Tang was reported to be recuperating at a local hospital after Friday morning’s transplant.
The new law would benefit about 520 patients waiting for kidneys, the report said. About 80 transplants are conducted every year in Singapore.
- Hanged gangster praised for donating organs - Jan 11, 2009
- Singapore doctors promote organ donation - Sep 03, 2011
- Oz kidney buyers giving China's 'transplant tourism' a boost - Feb 06, 2011
- 1,700 Chinese donate bodies for medical research - Mar 01, 2012
- Gambhir to donate his body parts - Nov 10, 2011
- Hyderabad hospital performs rare kidney transplant - Aug 19, 2011
- Only 4,500 out of two lakh get transplants - Feb 15, 2012
- Donor organs go waste in Britain - Feb 13, 2012
- Court allows woman to get kidney from relative - May 15, 2012
- Apollo reaches highest organ transplant in India - Aug 26, 2010
- Family gets 1,150 pounds for heart 'donation' blunder - Jan 22, 2012
- Organ seekers on social networks more successful - May 24, 2012
- Myanmar builds first liver transplant hospital - Jul 10, 2011
- Dead Pakistani teenager's liver transplanted - Aug 13, 2011
- Spain carries out 94 organ transplants in 72 hours - Dec 06, 2011