Restrictions in some Srinagar areas to prevent troubleDecember 6th, 2011 - 2:24 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 6 (IANS) Authorities imposed restrictions in city centre Lal Chowk and some adjacent areas in Srinagar to maintain law and order as many mourners’ processions are scheduled to be taken out by Shia Muslims Tuesday to commemorate the martyrdom of Prophet Mohammad’s grandson, Imam Hussain and his family in Karbala (Iraq) 1331 years ago.
A senior police officer said restrictions have been imposed in areas falling under two police stations of Maisuma and Kothibagh in order to prevent some anti-social elements from creating trouble in the city.
Shops, vehicular traffic, businesses and pedestrian movement remained suspended in city centre Lal Chowk, adjacent Maisuma locality and Residency Road areas Tuesday.
Shops and other business establishments were also closed in old city areas with very little traffic on the roads.
Shia Muslims throughout the world take out mourning processions and hold majlis (gatherings) during the first ten days of the Muslim month of Muharram, which is known as ‘Ashura’. The mourning reaches a climax with major processions on the 10th day.
Clashes had erupted between the Shia mourners and the security forces in Jahangir Chowk area of Srinagar on Sunday after authorities disallowed a mourning procession.
“The situation is normal throughout the Valley and no untoward incident has been reported from anywhere. Sufficient deployments of police and paramilitary central reserve police force (CRPF) are in place to prevent miscreants from creating any trouble in the city,” a police officer said.
- Indian Muslims mark Muharram with mourning, processions - Dec 06, 2011
- Religious procession dispersed in Srinagar - Dec 04, 2011
- Curfew in Srinagar to prevent Muharram procession - Dec 15, 2010
- Shia mourning procession dispersed in Srinagar - Dec 26, 2009
- Mumbai's Muslims take out Muharram processions - Dec 06, 2011
- Religious zeal, communal amity marks Muharram in India (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2009
- Curfew imposed in Srinagar during Moharum - Dec 17, 2010
- Seven injured in Srinagar baton charge - Dec 28, 2009
- Thousands join Muharram processions across Kashmir Valley (Lead) - Dec 17, 2010
- Curfew in Srinagar for Muharram Friday - Dec 16, 2010
- Shias take out mourning procession in Delhi - Feb 22, 2010
- Maulana opposed to stone throwing killed in Srinagar (Third Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Religious leader killed in Srinagar blast, city shuts down (Second Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Muharram observed in Kolkata - Dec 28, 2009
- One killed, 26 hurt in Peshawar blast - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: ashura, business establishments, chowk, city areas, crpf, imam hussain, karbala iraq, miscreants, month of muharram, mourners, muharram, pedestrian movement, prophet mohammad, reserve police, residency road, shia muslims, social elements, trouble in the city, untoward incident, vehicular traffic