Restrictions imposed in Srinagar to prevent separatist rallyNovember 14th, 2008 - 1:22 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Nov 14 (IANS) Strict restrictions were imposed by authorities in this summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir Friday to thwart a rally planned by separatist leaders to protest the holding of assembly elections in the state.”There is no curfew anywhere in the valley although section 144 of the criminal procedure code is being strictly enforced,” B. Srinivas, inspector general of police (Kashmir zone), said.
Separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani, who was scheduled to arrive here from New Delhi, had asked people to gather at the Tourist Reception Centre (TRC) for an anti-poll rally that he would address.
Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, chairman of the moderate Hurriyat group, had also announced his decision to address the TRC rally and then march to the north Kashmir district of Bandipora, where polling is scheduled to be held on Nov 17.
Traffic remained off the roads, while shops, educational institutions and banks remained closed Friday.
“We were not allowed to move out of our homes in the old city areas. There is heavy deployment of police and paramilitary forces,” Ghulam Hassan Mir, a resident of Gojwara locality, said.
- Curfew in parts of Srinagar following Mirwaiz assault - Nov 26, 2010
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrest - May 27, 2011
- Curfew imposed in four districts of J-K - Oct 27, 2010
- Curfew in Srinagar to prevent separatist march - Jul 16, 2010
- Geelani to intensify stir ahead of Obama's India visit - Oct 30, 2010
- Curfew in Srinagar areas to prevent protests - Oct 26, 2010
- Hurriyat to fight 'economic exploitation' of Kashmiris - Jul 10, 2012
- Separatist leaders put under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 27, 2012
- Separatist shutdown mars life in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Two dozen injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- Geelani, Shabir Shah placed under house arrest - Jul 29, 2011
- Five injured in Kashmir firing, interlocutors visit Shopian (Roundup) - Oct 26, 2010
- Chinks in Mirwaiz-led Hurriyat Conference? - May 07, 2012
- Kashmir holds peaceful panchayat polls - May 16, 2011