Respect Pakistan’s sovereignty, China tells USMay 19th, 2011 - 12:47 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 19 (IANS) China has told the US to respect Pakistan’s sovereignty and understand its problems, it was reported here.
Dawn reported that during a meeting with Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani Wednesday in Beijing, Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said he had taken up the issue with US officials at a recent strategic and economic dialogue in Washington.
Gilani began a four-day official visit to China Tuesday. The trip comes amid strained ties between the US and Pakistan after Osama bin Laden was shot dead May 2 by US Navy SEALs in Pakistan’s Abbottabad city. The US said it had taken unilateral action to take out the Al Qaeda leader.
He said China and Pakistan would forever remain good neighbours and good partners.
The Chinese premier lauded Gilani’s decision to accept India’s invitation to watch the cricket world cup semifinal match between India and Pakistan in Mohali.
Gilani told reporters that Pakistan and China have agreed to bolster defence ties.
He said his trip to China was pre-scheduled and it had nothing to do with Osama’s May 2 killing.
The Pakistani prime minister said Washington had assured that there would be no “unilateral attack” inside Pakistan’s territory in future.
“If another high-value target is found in Pakistan a joint operation will be carried out against him,” he was quoted as saying.
- Pakistan, China to strengthen economic, defence ties - Nov 08, 2011
- China hopes to see US-Pakistani ties improve: daily - May 18, 2011
- No more Abbottabad-like incidents, Gilani tells US - Dec 22, 2011
- Unilateral acts not acceptable, Gilani on Osama killing - May 30, 2011
- Pakistan to get 50 fighter jets from China - May 19, 2011
- Pakistan, China to jointly launch satellite - May 21, 2011
- China's economic success an inspiration: Gilani - Oct 01, 2011
- Pakistani PM to visit China - May 10, 2011
- Pakistan wants good ties with US, says Gilani - Jul 22, 2011
- Terrorism must not be linked to any particular nation or religion: Jiabao - Dec 19, 2010
- China and Pakistan to strengthen bilateral cooperation in diverse areas - Dec 18, 2010
- No need to bypass Pakistan, says Gilani on Osama raid - May 07, 2011
- It will take time to better ties with US: Gilani - Sep 01, 2011
- "Improved' Sino-India ties not a threat for Pakistan: Gilani - Dec 16, 2010
- Osama raid: US had warned Pakistan of unilateral action - May 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,