Resolve Sri Lanka conflict peacefully, says BarnalaJanuary 21st, 2009 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 21 (IANS) India is for a peaceful resolution of the raging conflict in Sri Lanka, Tamil Nadu Governor Surjit Singh Barnala said here Wednesday.”The government of India has always maintained that war is not a solution to the problem of Sri Lankan Tamils,” Barnala said in an address marking the start of the winter session of the state assembly.
“Appropriate alternative measures like dialogue should be initiated to establish peace to protect (the ethnic minority’s) right to life … and liberty,” Barnala said.
The governor recalled that the people of Tamil Nadu had contributed a large amount of money to provide relief to Sri Lankan Tamils in the wake of the latest military campaign.
The address was boycotted by the main opposition AIADMK party, the MDMK and the two Left parties. PMK members came to the house in black shirts to protest against India’s alleged inaction over Sri Lanka.
The governor also expressed the state government’s opposition to the exclusion of creamy layer from the Other Backward Castes in central government jobs and in admissions to central educational institutions.
The quota ought to be extended to backward castes and Dalits among the minorities, Barnala added.
- Opposition members evicted from Tamil Nadu assembly - Jan 07, 2011
- Mohammed John sworn in as Tamil Nadu minister - Jun 30, 2011
- Nine AIADMK legislators suspended from assembly - Jan 10, 2011
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Eid celebrated in Tamil Nadu - Sep 10, 2010
- AIADMK legislators' suspension revoked - Jan 11, 2011
- Send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees: Jayalalithaa - Jul 13, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Sri Lankan airmen shifted to Bangalore? Send them home, Jayalalitha demands (Fourth Lead, superseding previous story) - Jul 07, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen's status; Jayalaithaa demands they be sent home (Third Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- India to send back Sri Lanka Air Force personnel - Jul 06, 2012
- Attack on Lankan visitors unacceptable, says Karunanidhi - Sep 05, 2012
- AIADMK spreading rumours on Tamils for political gain: Congress - Apr 30, 2009
- Tamil Nadu parties again demand India back US UNHRC resolution - Mar 13, 2012
- AIADMK government's new measures welcomed - Jun 03, 2011