Residents saw plane sway in the sky - before crashingMay 26th, 2011 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
Faridabad, May 26 (IANS) Residents of a low income neighbourhood in Old Faridabad saw the air ambulance sway dangerously in the sky amid a storm before it crashed some distance away, a witness said Thursday.
“We were gathered outside our homes (in Roshan Nagar) at night waiting for our menfolk to return home when we saw this plane, flying low and in a wobbly manner,” said a witness, Ranjana Jha.
Jha, who works as a domestic maid in New Delhi, said her neighbour remarked after seeing the plane: “Mujhe lagta hai yeh to girne wala hai.” (I think it is going to fall.)
“And that is what happened,” Jha told IANS in this suburb near the Indian capital. “Suddenly we saw this plane plunge down rapidly… But we did not actually see it crash. We knew something had gone wrong, but we didn’t know what happened.”
Jha said she and her neighbours didn’t hear the plane fall as a storm was under way, throwing up distance and reducing visibility. The accident took place in a crowded part of adjoining New Faridabad.
All seven people on board and three people on the ground were killed in the disaster. The plane was carrying a critically ill patient from Patna to Delhi’s Apollo Hospital, which had chartered the air ambulance.
Jha said her area, Roshan Nagar, fell directly under the flight path leading to Indira Gandhi International Airport in neighbouring New Delhi.
“The sky above our homes is almost like a road,” she said. “Planes keep flying all the time. Sometimes they fly so slow that we can actually read the registration number of the planes from the ground.”
- 'A burning plane, then a thunderous crash' - all hell broke loose (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- 'A burning plane, a thunderous sound' - all hell broke loose - May 26, 2011
- Bad weather caused crash? - May 26, 2011
- A ruined home now Ground Zero for crash probe - May 26, 2011
- It was all very scary: Eyewitnesses of aircraft crash (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Kashmiri doctor killed in Faridabad crash - May 26, 2011
- Seven killed in air ambulance crash near Delhi (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Faridabad site cordoned off, DGCA team inspecting crash - May 26, 2011
- Air ambulance crash is the first, say experts (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- He couldn't tell us exact time of return: Killed doctor's family - May 26, 2011
- India's first air ambulance crash kills 10, probe ordered (Roundup) - May 26, 2011
- Kashmiris mourn local doctor's death in air ambulance crash - May 27, 2011
- 10 killed as air ambulance crashes near Delhi (Fourth Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Single engine and bad weather, recipe for air disaster: experts - May 26, 2011
- It was all very scary: Eyewitnesses of aircraft crash - May 26, 2011
Tags: air ambulance, apollo hospital, domestic maid, flight path, ill patient, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, menfolk, neighbour, neighbourhood, neighbouring, neighbours, New Delhi, patna, planes, plunge, registration number, suburb, sway, visibility