Rescue efforts on to rescue child from borewell near Agra (Lead)October 9th, 2008 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Oct 9 (IANS) Rescue operations to save the two-and-a-half-year-old boy, Sonu, who fell into a 150-foot-deep borewell near here while playing, are on in full swing and a pit being dug parallel to the well is half complete, though it could take the whole night for the rescue team to reach the child, officials said.”A parallel pit is being dug, oxygen is being supplied through a pipeline, district officials, including the district magistrate Anil Kumar and a team of doctors, are camping at the site,” Senior Superintendent of Police Raghuvir Lal said.
The administration has provided excavators, flood lights and a large posse of policemen to control the situation.
A big crowd has collected at the site and TV cameramen and media persons are also covering the operations.
Sonu, of Leharkapura village, some 30 km from Agra, fell into the borewell around 10 a.m. Thursday while playing.
A few months ago a little girl, Vandana, had similarly fallen into a borewell in Saiyan block of Agra district and was safely pulled up after a gruelling 24-hour operation by the army.
This time too, the army personnel have reached the site and have taken over the rescue operation.
Sources, however, said there was little chance of the child surviving the ordeal “as we do not see any movement.”
- Little boy falls into well near Agra - Oct 09, 2008
- Other incidents of toddlers being rescued - Jun 23, 2012
- Two-year-old toddler falls into borewell in Andhra - Jan 18, 2010
- Efforts fail to rescue toddler from Andhra borewell (Lead) - Jan 18, 2010
- Boy rescued safely from borewell in Maharashtra (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Hopes dim for child trapped in borewell, mother alleges lax rescue work (Second Lead) - Oct 10, 2008
- Child who fell into borewell in Madhya Pradesh rescued - Dec 16, 2009
- 30 hours on, life slips away for toddler trapped in borewell (Lead) - Oct 10, 2008
- Girl remains trapped for over 60 hours in borewell - Jun 23, 2012
- After 96 hours, child's body recovered from Agra borewell - Oct 13, 2008
- Mahi trapped in borewell not responding to calls (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Rescue operation on to save kid stuck in Warangal borewell - Jan 18, 2010
- Three-year-old rescued from borewell in Gurdaspur, dies in hospital - Jun 03, 2010
- After 96 hours, two-year-old's body recovered from borewell (Second Lead) - Oct 13, 2008
- Anger, sorrow as Mahi dies in Haryana borewell (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2012