Rescheduling of Champions Trophy good for Pakistan: AkramAugust 29th, 2008 - 10:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 29 (IANS) Former Pakistani captain Wasim Akram said here Friday that the rescheduling of the Champions Trophy was probably the right thing, considering the current political turmoil in his country. “Re-scheduling the Champions Trophy is a big blow for Pakistan cricket as it is in a shambles with no head and no direction. In hindsight, re-scheduling was probably good for Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB),” Akram said.
After President Pervez Musharraf announced his resignation, PCB chairman Nasim Ashraf also put in his papers. Ashraf was handpicked by Musharaf to lead the PCB.
Akram, who is in the city for a five-day camp organised by Delhi and Districts Cricket Association (DCCA), also expressed surprise at South Africa being the first country to back out of the tournament.
“I could understand Australia and New Zealand because they are so far off they don’t know the situation here,” he said.
On Pakistan’s twin problems, Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammed Asif, Akram said: “Shoaib is learning slowly, he now knows if he wants to be pampered, he needs to play more cricket. On the other hand, Asif is only 23, I believe we should not be too harsh with him. We have all made mistakes in our life.”
Akram also said he was impressed with the current lot of Indian fast bowlers and said: “I was very impressed with Ishant Sharma when I saw him in Australia. He is young and he will get stronger with age but we have to remember that injuries are part and parcel of the game.”
“Zaheer (Khan) has comeback really strongly after being dropped from the Indian side. He had a good stint with Worcestershire and now he is swinging the ball both ways, bowling with passion and looking supremely fit,” he said.
- Akram clueless why PCB is not using his services - Jul 27, 2009
- Repairing country's cricket image new PCB chief's top priority - Oct 13, 2011
- Growing demand for Ijaz Butt's removal as PCB chief - Sep 21, 2011
- Zardari appoints close friend as PCB chief,Butt shown the door - Oct 12, 2011
- Shoaib is trying to sell his book by making sensational claims: Akram - Sep 24, 2011
- Pak need to be very careful against Aussies in World Cup clash: Akram - Mar 19, 2011
- PCB chairman's visit revives Pakistan's IPL hopes - May 28, 2012
- 'Injury prone' Akhtar working hard to revive international career - Aug 13, 2010
- Pakistan appoints new bowling coach - Aug 25, 2012
- Pakistan to play 3 ODIs, 2 T20s in India in Dec-Jan (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sacking Afridi was a big mistake: Akram - May 21, 2011
- Wasim Akram lashes out at Shahid Afridi - Sep 23, 2011
- Ex-PCB CEO rubbishes reward to vanquished Pak WC team - Apr 20, 2011
- Ashraf confident Pakistan will host visitors in 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- 'Injury prone' Akhtar keeping 2011 World Cup firmly in sight - Aug 10, 2010